A SAD ENDING? WW1 Memorial Stone

Here's another view of Red Cross Corner from last year taken by my mate John. We've only been back a few days from our latest epic and he's already given two families info on their ancestors thru genes reunited. He's that sort of bloke. We snap a lot of graves and the plain fact is that the more eccentric reading old fashioned names always appeal and they actually make easier people to trace. For example: How you could you ignore the likes of a teenaged Highlander called Ebenezer McJannet? The name is priceless, but he is someones son and more importantly now, someone's ancestor who needs remembering. Someone called Jackson is another matter. Sometimes it's the unit names, medals, or even the colours of the stone that attract my lens. These are quite apart from the characters of the war who are often recorded, some of whom have achieved a kind of superior status. Just last week I finally got the chance to visit the grave of the commanding general of the 34th Division, Edwin Charles Ingouville-Williams. He was known as Inky Bill by his troops and was a damned good man killed in action. There are so many to see.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another view of Red Cross Corner from last year taken by my mate John. We've only been back a few days from our latest epic and he's already given two families info on their ancestors thru genes reunited. He's that sort of bloke. We snap a lot of graves and the plain fact is that the more eccentric reading old fashioned names always appeal and they actually make easier people to trace. For example: How you could you ignore the likes of a teenaged Highlander called Ebenezer McJannet? The name is priceless, but he is someones son and more importantly now, someone's ancestor who needs remembering. Someone called Jackson is another matter. Sometimes it's the unit names, medals, or even the colours of the stone that attract my lens. These are quite apart from the characters of the war who are often recorded, some of whom have achieved a kind of superior status. Just last week I finally got the chance to visit the grave of the commanding general of the 34th Division, Edwin Charles Ingouville-Williams. He was known as Inky Bill by his troops and was a damned good man killed in action. There are so many to see.

Eh,..............Sorry, matey, is there suppose to be a pic, attached :dunno: ;-)

Can anyone tell me how to get a screen print off a dvd. i can post the panorama of the area. As this is educational and academic research provided the scource is acknowledged, no copyright problems. Been checking up. :angel:

Good question, there are programs around that allow you to do this but you have to pay for them to get them to work. Havn't been able to find a free one yet :(

Eh,..............Sorry, matey, is there suppose to be a pic, attached :dunno: ;-)

Yes, there is. But my email at home has nightmares attaching snaps to HMVF - and I was in no shape to continue Friday - so surrendered in favour of antibiotics. I've got some stuff to catch up with.....Will report soon.

MB

I had a long meet with the Norwich area WFA Chairman last week, he too regularly assists our history teacher at Thetford in his research pre Armistice Days. Very interested in what the Forum was doing. He has a library of over 300 WW1 books (it's a big house!) and will be pleased to help us by doing a bit of research, but we need to know what to ask him for :dunno:

I've lent him the book of YPRES Before/After postcards (I'd posted a couple of shots last week) - he'd never seen anything like it before - so he can show his committee when they discuss Jackson's stone.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from:

- History teacher re. interest in school project

- Anglians Association Sec. (Norfolk Regiment Museum trustee) re. interest by museum

- Norfolk Regiment Museum curator re. photo of Jackson and trench maps / indexes

- WFA chairman re. suggestions from local WFA committee,

so will report back as and when.

When's Old Uncle Tom Cobbly coming in? :-D Good going, the more knowledge coming in the better. Does the forum no harm to be taken seriously either. Next year will be the 90th Anniversary of the end of the Great War, and probably the year it leaves living memory. So don't be suprised to be in demand.

Where are we at?

We've had a letter from Royal Norfolk Regiment Association, reporting back after their museum trustees meeting. In it they suggest -

"There would be real merit in using the stone as a starting point for a school's project linked to the Remembrance theme. Thereafter the stone and the resulting display would be a useful addition to the regimental museum or another museum local to Thetford. It could easily be made portable for use as part of some temporary military display especially as part of any school project linked to the First World War."

Trench Maps - A local WFA member experienced in the art of trench maps is going to do a search over the weekend to see what is available in our areas of interest. He has the trench map CDs as well as WFA database.

Sounds like the basis of a good idea. Remember you have the ownership of the stone you might consider a loan of it as opposed to outright gift. I like the idea of a tangible piece of the past moving around. If it is one place it might get seen and thought of by a few, if it goes with it's history to visit many will see it. I do think YOU should get a large mention for the initial save and work that put it out there though. At least with a museum exhibit it will receive the respect due.

Sounds like the basis of a good idea. Remember you have the ownership of the stone you might consider a loan of it as opposed to outright gift. I like the idea of a tangible piece of the past moving around. If it is one place it might get seen and thought of by a few, if it goes with it's history to visit many will see it. I do think YOU should get a large mention for the initial save and work that put it out there though. At least with a museum exhibit it will receive the respect due.

Aye, I'll go along with this, Tony.

As a 'tool', to encourage future generations to learn, and (hopfully) understand that war isn't hollywood,........that young people gave their all, for the rest of us to live as we do, today, could well be invaluable.

Hmmmm, substute 'younger generation's', with POLITICIANS, - same result. :whistle:

N.O.S You deserve all the praise and recognition here, after all, if you'd NOT saved this piece of history, we'd not be posting here;

STAND UP and take a BOW. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This all sounds good. I agree with the sentiment that saving the memorial is very important. My company threw there's in a skip when they moved buildings and only realised when it was too late. They tried to buy it back from two people who saved it, they said NO. Fair do's, I say. I've been slowly visiting the graves or memorials to the company men of WW1 and managed to visit five more this year. My mad bunch are also visiting the graves of former pupils of Southend High School for my mate's sister, who is a teacher there. It adds focus to visits. We'll be back around Armentieres in December. The only thing I don't like about it is the feeling that it's a bit like collecting engine numbers, but the merit of it is a lot higher. I'm stuck in the office all day tomorrow and won't see my son parade at the Southend Cenotaph for the second year running. Work can be a pain in the derrier. Best wishes to everyone stepping out tomorrow.

There is a Russian saying 'Those with both eyes on the past are dead to the future. Those with both eyes on the future are doomed to the same mistakes'. If by this we can make 1 kid realise that real war is not video games, you don't start again with fresh lives, it will be worth it. Thankfully there are still those who will put themselves on the line for others.

Did anyone see the repeat of Ian Hislops prog, tonight ??

He visited the cellars of the Chelsea Hospital, where removed memorials are stored; There he showed one that had ended up in a skip,smashed;...was saved minus a few parts;

With some investigation work, it was found to have come from a bank- that had changed use's. Good news is that Royal bank of Scotland have taken on the restoration and re-siting of said memorial..........

I laid a "sort-of-a-wreath" at Thetford War Memorial today, for them all of course, but particularly with Jackson in mind.

Having said I would do this, I left it too late to organise a wreath proper, and the best I could do late yesterday was a bunch of red roses :sweat:

These had to go in a vase, (not glass), so I found a black plastic container. This didn't look right, so a short length of Mrs Hardyferret's 'safety wire' was used to give it a bit of a WW1 feel. I then got worried that it was all a bit over the top and not appropriate :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Thought I'd do a quiet placement this morning, but the Thetford service was a large affair (some 26 wreaths laid during the service, from a wide range of groups). The weather up to the Silence was awful, but then the skies cleared. Luckily there was a little space left for private wreaths, and I managed to place it right under Jackson's inscription.

To my surprise it was very well received and got lots of favourable comments, note also the stunning silver dried flower cross which also received admiration - this was laid by a young man who promptly disappeared :dunno:

All in all a moving experience (my first Armistice Day service), well attended by the public.

I trust you approve of the wording on our "wreath".

I think That you did just fine ... both your thoughts and the selection . A few short weeks ago He....Pte Benard Ivo Jackson age 24 , was just one among many other forgotten names on a memorial This year he and many more are remembered . I 'd say You did FINE!

Gentlemen a suggestion has been made to me. If the original stone goes on loan to the

Norfolk museum. Why do we not seek permission to erect our own monument to him in the area? Apparently this can be done relatively easily. A cairn or some such with a plaque.

well after just getting back from ypees i ended up laying a cross at hill 60 amongst the broken trees for our man will post a pic when i work out how to transfer from my phone to here

a very moving day going round the various cemetarys there around passingdale

sorry if spelling bad but after 4am start and 1.30am finish im knackered

congratulations on your day at thetford and your tribute