Austin Gypsy?

Rick W

I dont know a lot about these particular vehicles. Were most of them built primarily by use for the military, or were some built for civvy use as well?

Rick,

The War Office trialled them, but do not think any went in to service, the Home Office bought several large contracts of them in various forms, long and short wheelbase for use by the Civil Defence. The rest were civilian use, seem to remember they came out around 1958 and last ones were about 1964/5.

I dont know a lot about these particular vehicles. Were most of them built primarily by use for the military, or were some built for civvy use as well?

What you have in the picture is an Austin Gypsy G4M10, the swb with conventional springs. the Long wheel Base variant was the G4M15. the Gypsy Mk 1 has Flexitor independent suspension. engines were e2.2 BMC series C of both petrol and diesel; variety. there were civilian versions. the gear box was 4 speed full syncro 2 range on the G4 with independent front wheel only drive in emergency, although this was not on the vehicle data plate, only in the handbook. the main problem is the steel body work. they are beautiful things to drive and far superior to land rovers in every way. the diesel particular was reliable, and the box bomb proof.The G4 front hubs also has capstan hubs which were extremely effective. My first car J5569 a 1968 Austin Gypsy G4M10 , picture taken 1973, oh those were the days.

Rick,

The War Office trialled them, but do not think any went in to service, the Home Office bought several large contracts of them in various forms, long and short wheelbase for use by the Civil Defence. The rest were civilian use, seem to remember they came out around 1958 and last ones were about 1964/5.

1968, that was the date mine was made. There were 3 in Jersey at the time the St Helier traffic wardens had a M10 in zebra stripe , mine, and a M15 belonging to a bloke who worked on boats in particular an Ex Navy MFV called Black Shark that was in St Aubins harbour for years.

so Rick w your saying the steel bodys were prone to quickly rusting away ?

It was the Achilles heel. Especially when you lived surrounded by salt water :dunno: Really they were no worse than any of their time. Check the same places you would on a Landy of the time. Mechanically the gearbox is rare but very strong. Engine parts are easy , same as many old London Taxis. Body shape is more curved than Landy's but being steel easier to work on. the problem was Land rover had the market and Austins management policies. As long a chassis is OK the rest should be doable. Love to have one again.

Good motors, I've had a few Renault over the years.

Suprisingly enough, it was, except when the flexi pipe linking the manifold downpipe and exhaust parted company,.....which it did on a (semi)regular basis..................thak about GROWL........... :whistle:

After that went to the great rust hole in the ground, (or china :dunno:) it was replaced with a rear engines (THE REAL)SKODA. :-D

Rick,

The Gipsy was produced from '58 to '68 with production running to just over 22000.

The mark 1 was produced as a 90" wheelbase with 'Flexitor' independent suspension.

The mark 2 was introduced in 1960 and added a LWB 111" to the range with Flexitor front suspension and leaf springs at the back.

For some reason there was never a mark 3 but the mark 4 was introduced in 1963 with leaf springs all round, however the Flexitor suspension was an option until 1965.

They were built as a civilian vehicle but the Home Office did buy them in large numbers. A special version was trialled for the army. The results were favorable but too late to save them from British Leyland cuts in 1968.

I know of 2 remaining complete Army Gipsys, a SWB (of 15 made) and a LWB (of 5 made) I will post pictures when I work out how...

What you have in the picture is an Austin Gypsy G4M10, the swb with conventional springs. the Long wheel Base variant was the G4M15. the Gypsy Mk 1 has Flexitor independent suspension. engines were e2.2 BMC series C of both petrol and diesel; variety. there were civilian versions. the gear box was 4 speed full syncro 2 range on the G4 with independent front wheel only drive in emergency, although this was not on the vehicle data plate, only in the handbook. the main problem is the steel body work. they are beautiful things to drive and far superior to land rovers in every way. the diesel particular was reliable, and the box bomb proof.The G4 front hubs also has capstan hubs which were extremely effective. My first car J5569 a 1968 Austin Gypsy G4M10 , picture taken 1973, oh those were the days.

Almost, ;-) the one in the picture is a G4M10 FL (flexi) if you look it has the suspension unit below the front bumper. the leaf sprung version would be 'SE' (semi eliptic)

• 1 year later...
The mark 2 was introduced in 1960 and added a LWB 111" to the range with Flexitor front suspension and leaf springs at the back.

Here's a picture of a Mark 2. I took pictured it on 22 November last year at Schoorl, Holland. Very rare to see one of these in the wild in Holland. Come to think of it, I think it was the first one I've seen in the metal.

Hanno

P1030490-resized.JPG