Munga engine and RAF talk

Mike Maddams

Hi everyone, 

I’ve just become the proud owner of an Auto Union Munga project and wish to restore her to former glory status. That is at least, on the outside...because the engine is missing from the vehicle. So one of my requests is that we can cha about what engine might fit? I’ve got the gearbox etc, just no engine. I’m happy to take the gearbox out and fit a matching engine and gearbox from a donor car, and I’m not snobby as to what the donor is...ie Nissan Micra, I’m ok with that. The main thing is reliability and I’d like to be able to drive it around on the road, go to shows, days out etc with the same level of confidence that I have when using my little van or car. 
So please can I have some opinions? 
after saying all this...if someone has a 3cyl 2 stroke 900cc engine for me then I’d love to know! 
Another thing I’d like to ask is that I read that the RAF used these when stationed in Germany after the war. Does anyone have a colour photo or at least remember what scheme they were in when operating under the RAF? 
Cheers, Mike 

The Munga that I owned had a Nissan engine fitted which I was told came out of a Micra, I have also heard of them being fitted with Ford Crossflow engines. Both easier to find than a Saab 2 stroke, the Nissan engine fitted the original gearbox with no noticeable modifications.

Edited by johnwardle
Predictive text
  • Thanks 1

That’s very interesting because I’d only guessed that the Micra engine might fit only on size. Regrettably I’m doing this all on a shoestring so the idea of buying a MOT failed Micra on FB marketplace as a donor for £150 very much appeals to me. Thanks so much guys for this advice. Anyone else have some suggestions? 

cheers, Mike 

5 minutes ago, johnwardle said:

The Munga that I owned had a Nissan engine fitted which I was told came out of a Micra, I have also heard of them being fitted with Ford Crossford engines.

Ps did your Munga have the Nissan gearbox as well? Do you have any photos of the engine in situ?

11 minutes ago, Mike Maddams said:

That’s a very interesting suggestion! Do you think it might fit the gearbox bell housing? 

People do conversion plates for all sorts ,  first look into possibilities for cooling water radiator(s)  ,  it would certainly catch a few out at the lights and have the right sound..

The other fav. engine(s) of mine from youth (no cooling water)  sort of right sound too.

Look into the possibilities of , even including the neat gearboxes -  VW  Beetle , preferably the Type one , 1100cc with early cylinder heads - downside - 4 stroke  boxer.   Renault R4  ,  inline 4  ,  again water cooled and the gearbox is tiny and in front of engine ,  engine has advantage of wet liners. You had choice of kits , short kit pistons & bore liners, big ends & gaskets and long kit (that included crankshaft & bearings.  I used to re-build the engines outside in back garden on a hot summer day  LoL    Renaults  were screpped with engines,  few VeeDub scrapped with engine ,  Nobody scrapped a Saab 2 stroke engine with the rotten car.

1 hour ago, MatchFuzee said:

Have you seen this book? 

Tankograd 5055 MUNGA Early Light All-Terrain Vehicles of the Bundeswehr: Goliath and Porsche Jagdwagen, VW Kurierwagen and the Auto Union/DKW Munga. 

No I haven’t but I’ve just bought a copy, I’m loving this forum! 

2 hours ago, johnwardle said:

No it had the original Munga gearbox, so it still had 4 wheel drive.

Fantastic! Any chance you have a pic of the engine in the bay? Just so I can see which model Nissan it may have come from? I know you said it was possibly a Micra, which is my hope. 

One of the larger  NSU Prinz  -  4 cyl. in-line air-cooled , would give the power and sound of something different.    A lot of MUNGA were manufactured but most must have remained on continent, BREXIT may have made a import harder , but possibly a genuine MUNGA engine would be best.   ISTR that Jacksons @ Misson Bawtry imported them but I doubt if they have anything now.

May I also provide some information on this?
First, on the subject of design and color of the RAF + Military DKW MUNGA in West Berlin - for this I refer to my current MUNGA book on the subject of vehicles of the Allies, the Berlin police and the Berlin scene..unfortunately only in German language...
There are still some copies available at the price of 15 Euro plus shipping ( and custom?).
Maybe there is someone in your circle who translates it. I lack a little bit the time for it....

About the (DKW) engine...
of course a DKW MUNGA is only worth preserving and valuable if it is as close to original as possible. This also includes the engine. Apart from the vehicles of the first years of construction, a 1000 3 cylinder DKW engine with 44 HP was installed from the end of 1958, which was also mounted in some passenger car types.

From about the end of the 60s, vehicles of the German army (Bundeswehr) were regularly taken out of service due to their age and sold and found new private owners. The MUNGA was popular with hunters and in agriculture, but there was often a desire for more power. There were many engine conversions, of course not commercially, but more in "home work" or small "private" production.
The possibilities and conversion variants were enormously different. Almost all engines were "transplanted", no matter if Renault, Mercedes-Diesel, VW Golf or VW Beetle !!, Opel kadett (Vauxhall) or Ford V 4 or Ford V 6. Everybody did it also a little bit different.
 Widely used and mountable in the engine compartment was a Ford V 4 engine. An intermediate flange was mounted between the Ford engine and the DKW gearbox, a different starter and alternator were installed, the gearbox housing was adapted for the starter, radiator, heater, carburetor, exhaust system; engine mounts, etc. Experience showed that an engine power of 60-75 hp was needed to optimize it.  The placement of the radiator was somewhat problematic. The cost in the 70's was around 1000 DM (Deutsche Mark = in this time about 500 €uro) using an old used engine including attachments.
Many other engines such as Opel (Vauxhall) required a body extension. An unsightly affair!
However, many converted vehicles also had to fight with problems. So there were always leaks at the transmission main shaft, especially when the centering of engine + transmission was not 100%....
From about the mid-90s, the trend declined significantly and the enthusiast tended to the original engine. In the last 10-15 years MUNGA with foreign engine could be sold partly hardly, or with clear price reductions!
Only the original counts and is worth preserving!     Today it makes no sense at all to rebuild this oldtimer with a foreign engine. Still there are old DKW engines, which can be reconditioned, the crankshafts can be overhauled, new pistons, partly also as a reproduction are available.
This will also be the case in GB. I recommend to look for contact to your  "DKW owners club". Here one will know the possibilities on the island.
So far as supplementary info to the previous opinions. May it help.

Buchvorstellung-GB-docx.pdf