Vehicle Batteries for vehicles laid up

LarryH57

Question

12 answers to this question

Where it is has relevance, if it is charged by a charger that does not overcharge and you can do that in situ why remove it? A good effective disconnect is important. some vehicles have parasitic draws that over time cause problems.

I am no expert, just my experience. Lugging batteries in and out is not a task I enjoy from inside vehicles so why do it if you can avoid it?

Edited by robin craig

Disconnected at both terminals , there is still chemical activity at the plates.  My understanding is the warmer the ambient temp. the greater the chemical activity.    So if you can store the battery in a cool cellar that would be better than outside or a garage that will warm up in the sun (if ever that occurs) .   Still best to hook up to a solid state modern battery conditioner.

Keep it float charged, either in or out of the vehicle.  Wet lead-acids don't like being left to go flat, AGMs are more forgiving as they have a much slower self-discharge rate but still appreciate being topped up.

Andy

Quick query guys: Before I start ripping things apart.My 6 volt WC54 , battery has sat and pos terminal  has gone black. Vehicle starts but shows no charge on the dynamo, yes I've re polarised , and the meter shows discharge  when lights on etc, but no plus charge. Could tha be a battery fault?

I suppose it depends if you have secure storage with mains power where the vehicle is stored.

If you do, then Optimate type chargers are brilliant, and can be connected to the battery in situ with crocodile clips and left charging indefinitely.

But if the vehicle is outside, or away from mains power, removing the battery to charge elsewhere is the best option.

I'd definitely recommend an Optimate charger though. Mine has paid for itself several times over.

Edited by Johnny

1 hour ago, Tony B said:

Quick query guys: Before I start ripping things apart.My 6 volt WC54 , battery has sat and pos terminal  has gone black. Vehicle starts but shows no charge on the dynamo, yes I've re polarised , and the meter shows discharge  when lights on etc, but no plus charge. Could tha be a battery fault?

What voltage is the battery showing if you check it with a multimeter?

Black terminals are not a good sign, but I'd try cleaning them and recharging. You might be lucky.

As others have said, batteries don't like being left for too long without being charged, so might be time for a replacement.

I will check with my mate but it is a 12 volt standard battery that has been used until now on a non -military Land Rover 90 but once Covid ends, he is to be working abroad for a few months, and vehicle put in a lock up that has no power for a trickle charge etc. So will the battery be dead or alive after such a period and  is on or off the vehicle going to change things?

This is where an analyzer comes in handy ,  I use a RING  RSC612  Smart charger (abt.  £80 @ Halfords),  if the battery is a few years old you will be lucky to get 70% capacity in.  At that it will start the car OK but you will be unaware of the state..   If it were still at 100% (that I very much doubt , unless it has been nursed from new), then I would guess - OK to leave for 2 months max.

I now keep a log-book of my batteries , check them every fortnight ,  the last I purchased was a Bosch Silver 5 years ago - still checks out perfect at 100% ,  that is with trickle condition as required.

2 hours ago, Johnny said:

What voltage is the battery showing if you check it with a multimeter?

Black terminals are not a good sign, but I'd try cleaning them and recharging. You might be lucky.

As others have said, batteries don't like being left for too long without being charged, so might be time for a replacement.

Yes, your confirming ny thoughts Hey ho for a new battery, before anything else. Thanks.