Willys Hotchkiss m201 companion flange nut won't budge

steev

Assuming you have been turning the correct direction , and a 1/2" dr. breaker bar like the one suggested gives no success.

Most air / battery/ mains impact wrenches are next to useless , you may have been hired a pup.   I doubt if they hire out a  MAC or Snap-on   1/2" dr. gun that costs  £300+  

You may have to take it to a garage , I doubt if it needs 3/4" dr.  however a commercial garage should shift it for a small £fee.

Looking on YouTube and seeing other companion flange nuts removed/fitted they are not left hand thread?, as the transfer case is still on the jeep it would be difficult to get the breaker bar onto the nut?, I'm loath to remove the transmission to take it to the garage I may have to source a stronger impact wrench and hope that shifts it!?.

Thanks guys for you suggestions.

Steve.

If there’s no room to use a breaker bar, is there someway to brace a Long wrench against the frame and then with the vehicle in gear, roll it to use gear box torque to help? Mine came off with very little effort so never had to investigate alternative removal methods. You could also try some heat, a normal butane lamp would do it.

Thanks I will give that a go (how long should I apply the the heat?), also if all else fails would it be recommended to maybe grind  the sides of the nut with a dremel disc and source a new nut?.

Edited by steev

1 hour ago, steev said:

Thanks I will give that a go (how long should I apply the the heat?), also if all else fails would it be recommended to maybe grind  the sides of the nut with a dremel disc and source a new nut?.

That would be the best option ,  Dremel / die-grinder  - remove most of metal then hit a slot with a blunt chisel & lump hammer to spread / split.

Torches - I would lag around with plumbers asbestos mats (not B&Q , proper thick ones) and scraps of sheet asbestos.   A propane torch with a microbore nozzel  (Sievert or Bullfinch  abt.  3/8" or next size up) , heat in quick and out.  You may be better using a  MAP gas container torch.

You could try jacking veicle up. Arrange a long bar to rest on the floor jammed against something, and gently lower vehicle.

All you need to do is start it.

The other if all else fails is with the transmission disconnected from drive. Wedge a bar on flick starter to turn the engine and transmission allowing bar to bang against something hard.

Edited by Tony B

Ive managed to shift it- cut a piece of galvanized tube and used it as an extension and to my surprise and relief it worked!!!!.

thanks to you all for your suggestions which i will no doubt use in some capacity in the future.

Steve

20210504_194223.jpg