Ruddington MOD RAF Army Vehicle Auction Catalogue 17-20 Dec 1968 98th Sale

No Signals

Yes Neil they are still here & compliment the other half of the Hurst collection of the later catalogues. For several years I have been periodically sending them to Geoff Fletcher who is not only scanning them but feeding the scans to an OCR to construct a database. This will be a formidable resource, there are only a few of the early ones that have yet to be traced.

Although this may ultimately effect the value of these catalogues it will never match up to experience of savouring the detail of the real document, the smell of musty paper, the well thumbed page, the rusting paper clip, the annotations scribbled in the margins be it the price reached, the max bid, the good/bad comments about a vehicle.

I am lucky as  I have a few auctioneer's catalogues which are doubled sized with extra pages to record the sale price achieved & minimum bid which apparently was based on prices realised from previous sales.

I must have only paid about £1 each at the time.   I understand their site in the village where I brought them is now houses.    Still looking for the catalogue which features the sale of my Daimler Armoured Car which must have been one of the last sold.

Edited by REME 245

To pay  £  172.89   ,  then it must have been somebody with a interest of a particular vehicle that he owns  ?    I should still have mine from  abt. 1975 to 1980  (complete with my  £  annotations)  in the bottom of a filing cabinet not opened in over 30 years  !   Seems best left closed as a £££ investment  (but not for I)  ,,