By Tank into Normandy by Stuart Hills MC

Degsy

The story of a young officer of the Nottinghamshire Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, a troop leader on Shermans. Richard Holmes calls it 'One of the best half-dozen personal accounts of the Normandy campaign'. Further comment from me would be superfluous.

Awesome book. If you enjoyed this, try Panzer Commnder by Heinz Von Luck. Its a similar story, but told from the other side.

Hans von Luck. Otherwise agree with the whole thread.

Von Luck became a lecturer at Sandhurst and great friend of John Howard, Ox and Bucks who dropped on Pegasus Bridge, who also lectured at Sandhurst.

ISTR von Luck died in 1997

Thanks Grasshopper I'll add that to my wanted list, at the moment I am awaiting delivery of the Otto Carius book.

What Otto Carius book??? My ignorance is showing. Can you blokes give us more details about these important books please. I want to be sure we share this information around to everyone - because I don't mind admitting I do not know them and now want to.

Thanks

MB

Sorry Mark, I thought this book had been mentioned before, its titled-:

Tigers in the Mud: The Combat Career of German Panzer Commander Otto Carius. I'm led to believe that he destroyed more tanks etc. than Michael Wittman. Unfortunately since I posted I have now received an e-mail cancelling the previously promised delivery, no reason given so will have to start over again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally finished 'Tigers in the mud', I found it lacked detailed descrptions of the action and to be somewhat impersonal but this may be due to German style of writing and may have lost something in the translation. To my mind it does not begin to compare with the books written by Ken Tout.

Finally finished 'Tigers in the mud', I found it lacked detailed descrptions of the action and to be somewhat impersonal but this may be due to German style of writing and may have lost something in the translation. To my mind it does not begin to compare with the books written by Ken Tout.

Ken Touts a good author; Have his 'The Bloody Battle For Tilly', on shelf, still to read.

Soooooooo many books, so little time. :roll:

Ken Touts a good author; Have his 'The Bloody Battle For Tilly', on shelf, still to read.

Soooooooo many books, so little time. :roll:

I think you'll enjoy that one,well researched and very detailed, I'm in the middle of reading

'Tank D to VE days' which is absolutely brilliant, he was so observant and his writing is so descriptive.

Mark if you are interested in the tank war on the Eastern front then this book is well worth reading, I was critical of it as compared to Ken Tout's writing but perhaps that was a little unfair as few authors can compare well with him.