Paint - Matt or Satin?

Lmortimer334

I agree with Ruxy. I have opened many WW2 sealed packages of spare parts and have been amazed at the variation of both colour and finish. Remember that in those days there was not the technology to accurately measure colour and degree of matt so paint was mixed by eye against a sample. This lead to huge variations. Certainly full matt will look nice when first painted but will look scruffy very quickly and more importantly does not protect from the elements very well.

David

• Like 1

Ah the paint question, who would think it would cause so much debate? but it does from restorers around the world on virtually all MV forums on the web and rightly so.   We spend huge sums of money and invest thousands of hours of work on our projects and it's it's only right and proper that we  want to get the finish correct for period and country of origin that the vehicle represents. 

I notice Lawrence you don't ask about the colour or shade which is a whole different can of worms so I'll leave that to one side. 

Regarding  finish as others have said matt has intrinsic problems in terms of durability, weather proofing and stain resistance and like David I have seen war time NoS parts from Britain, Canada and the US that exhibit quite marked finish differences from dead flat to what I would class as silk. 

Over the years and a fair number of vehicles I have evolved a standard method using spray application,  first a good zinc rich primer or etch primer depending on the item being painted then followed by a hard gloss I use either black or dark grey and then two top coats of your preferred colour at 15% sheen applied within 48hr of the gloss coat going on.   The idea here is that the gloss coat is still active enough so that the top coat thinners can soften the gloss just enough to bond with it as it rather defeats the object to sand the gloss coat to produce a key at this stage.

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby