LIBERATION TOUR JERSEY 1985

T corbin

My better half posed the question on why they didn't dismantle all the bunkers etc after liberation. My only answer was that they served as a reminder, and they are made of such huge blocks of reinforced concrete its nigh on impossible, or impractical to delete them.

Partly cost, some have been demolished, 1 unique piece was at Westmount had a pinnacle roof, story was weight was causing subsidence, truth was roof was hollow. Another was at the entrance to what is now Gorey Harbour car park, cost about £300,00 to remove. Some are on private ground, others such as the Ho1 Tunnel at L'Aleval is now used for growing mushrooms, the searchlight bunker at L'Etacq is a store for live sheelfish. the tower at corbiere was used for many years as the base of Jersey marine radio. This one has now been converted to holiday accommodation and is available for rent, also apartments can be rented on Elizabeth Castle in St Aubins Bay. (Sorry the Jersey tourism hat is on). For a good idea about the Occupation if you can find it Island's in Danger my Alan & Mary Seaton -Wood. First published in the '50s still worth reading, and for the green's amongst us Jersey Zoo now known as Durrel's well worth a visit. Best beer Mary Ann special.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id like to see those photos. Our trip to the Guernsey Occupation museum recently, there was a couple of artillery barrels sitting outside the museum, they were chucked off the cliffs as well. They had a nice Flak 88 out there as well. I dont suppose anyone can tell me where the Mirus gun battery is? I tried 3 times in vain to try and find it and couldnt.

[/quoteBattery Mirus is in an area called La Houguette but is very difficult to see from the road.From memory turn right on leaving the airport and follow the road to La houguette look for a school on the right hand side of the road ,park in front of the school look over gate on right hand side of school and you should be able to see gunsite 3 which has been converted into a sort of sunken play area.Now return to road and with your back to the school turn right and follow the main road until you find a lane on your right ,enter the lane and in the field to your left isgunsite 4 which is now used for airsoft and paintballing.

Gunsite 1 is further down the lane on private land but the cios have access prmission and if contacted may show you round ,this is how I got in there last year.

The final position is also on private land and is not accessible.

If you do contact the cios you should find them helpful I certainly did .

If you want to know anymore about Mirus please feel free to contact me and I will try to help

Nigel

At least you have options since they didn't melt the guns down . Would seem that it would be a large undertaking and a fair amount of money needed , yes the use of the same type of vehicle to recover as was used to dispose is a nice touch but wouldn't it be safer and quicker to use a proper crane ? From what I have read in other recovery efforts lately that the locals where these things are being taken from are wanting the objects to stay in place as a tourist attraction fearing that with out them they will be forgotten .

Perhaps the island officials could be involved so as to get permits and support for the recovery and say one of the guns donated as a monument atop the cliffs and I guess your thinking the others to go to display else where ?

Absolutely right. As I said, we were only musing. I wouldn't dream of being involved in removing historical artefacts without being very certain it was acceptable to do so :-)

Absolutely right. As I said, we were only musing. I wouldn't dream of being involved in removing historical artefacts without being very certain it was acceptable to do so :-)

[/quotAs you say at least they were not melted down but unfortunately the permanent exposure to the elements will eventually totally destroy them and I for one beleive they should all be recovered and displayed however some years ago when speaking to a member of the cios he stated that they did not have the facilities or funds for recovery and preservation .

There is already several barrels displayed above the cliffs at les Landes which I believe were recovered by a team led by Terry Obrien of the cios in june 1993.

If ever more guns are to be recovered paticularly using the wlf,s or similar I for one would like to volunteer to help as I am sure would other interested members of this and other related forums/clubs

Perhaps this is the next HMVF field trip!

Nigel