LIBERATION TOUR JERSEY 1985

T corbin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one but I'm afraid your record has been usurped in 2005 by the one with his head in the clouds and the Ward le France. Actually thats not true we persuaded him to take the WLF over as there were 3 taken over by Force 135. Richard Le Brocq worked bloody hard in 2005 and put together a fantastic event, despite some local politics.

If I remember rightly there is 1 of the force 135 WLFs in the steam museum in Jersey and it used to be in the Jersey motor museum in St Peters

Nigel

That's correct. It was used by the island highways dept. for many years and is sadly in poor condition. However it's stored indoors in the steam museum and the owner says he hopes to restore it one day. While out there I was given some good period photos of the 3 WLFs working on the islands including a series of shots of them towing the huge German artillery pieces up to the cliffs and letting them roll off the edge into the sea. When we were there we took my truck up onto the tops of the same cliffs and looked down to where the barrels are still lying on the rocks below! Most interestingly in most of the period photos the crews are German POWs.

If I remember correctly one of the other trucks is still on a farm somewhere on the island. I think the other was returned to the mainland.

Mike , have you still got the copies of the WLFs with the guns? I can't find the things anywhere.

Tony

PS I've still got a lot of photos and the dvd of the evnt, maybe I should upload :-D

I've got them in my folder of WLF stuff that lives on the truck - I'll do some photocopies for you. What's the copyright status? - I'm sure folks here would be interested to see 'em.

That's correct. It was used by the island highways dept. for many years and is sadly in poor condition. However it's stored indoors in the steam museum and the owner says he hopes to restore it one day. While out there I was given some good period photos of the 3 WLFs working on the islands including a series of shots of them towing the huge German artillery pieces up to the cliffs and letting them roll off the edge into the sea. When we were there we took my truck up onto the tops of the same cliffs and looked down to where the barrels are still lying on the rocks below! Most interestingly in most of the period photos the crews are German POWs.

If I remember correctly one of the other trucks is still on a farm somewhere on the island. I think the other was returned to the mainland.

does this mean les palot owns 2 WLFs or is the one in the museum also the one that was on a farm

Id like to see those photos. Our trip to the Guernsey Occupation museum recently, there was a couple of artillery barrels sitting outside the museum, they were chucked off the cliffs as well. They had a nice Flak 88 out there as well. I dont suppose anyone can tell me where the Mirus gun battery is? I tried 3 times in vain to try and find it and couldnt.

The Mirus guns were cut up after the war. The steel was so strong, British Oxygen had to come up with a special mix. I understand the emplacements are on private land so your best bet is contact CIOS and ask, by the way a present of carrots will always be welcome, they will know what you mean. Some guns in Jersey were taken on the back of WLF's and dumped over the cliffs, they were later sold for about £2 to a scrap dealer, the rest, well most are still there. CIOS Jersey did bring some up from over Les Landes, using the winch on DODGE 52 :angel: and they are mounted on the Les landes emplacements. If I sound like an anorack, well I come from Jersey and the bunkers were my playground, says it all really. :dunno:

The occupation museum in Guernsey has got the end of the Mirus barrel that was cut off as a souvenir. I vaguely remember being able to go down into the battery when I was a nipper some 20 odd years ago and all the original german signage still being up on the walls. No health and safety, seemed to be in some allotments....those were the days!

I'll scan the photos when I'm back in a couple of weeks' time and post them up here for all to see.

When we went up to the cliffs to look at the old gun barrels on the rocks below we mused about using the truck to pull them back up again so they could be preserved. We thought it's be a kind of MV poetic justice to use a WLF to winch them up since that's what pushed them over all those years ago.

At least you have options since they didn't melt the guns down . Would seem that it would be a large undertaking and a fair amount of money needed , yes the use of the same type of vehicle to recover as was used to dispose is a nice touch but wouldn't it be safer and quicker to use a proper crane ? From what I have read in other recovery efforts lately that the locals where these things are being taken from are wanting the objects to stay in place as a tourist attraction fearing that with out them they will be forgotten .

Perhaps the island officials could be involved so as to get permits and support for the recovery and say one of the guns donated as a monument atop the cliffs and I guess your thinking the others to go to display else where ?

2 Years!!! The tide goes out such a long way on the CI's surely a sea/beach recovery would be the best option. Hasnt the CI's got a tidal range of 12 metres?

Rick, the senario is this. There 200 feet down a sheer cliff If you go down the cliff and turn West, the next landfall is about 3000 miles away on the East coast of America. Tidal races about 8 knots, crumbly cliff. Why do you think the scrap dealear who bought 'em is still crying? :-DGive you some idea.