War and peace - thoughts so far

Alan

I Dropped out of subscribing to CMV for a while, but picked it up again after the change in Editor.  Must admit, the current edition does not make me want to continue.  The article on British WW2 motorcyles is poor, written by a well known motorcycling journo' who clearly has just looked up all the stuff he repeats with the inaccuracies.  That article could have been so much more if they had used someone who knows his stuff ( eg Messrs Madden and Orchard). 

Edited by matchlesswdg3
Spelling

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 3:10 PM, bigduke6 said:

Mike, I think there has been something missing for the last few years, I enjoyed it more at Folkestone Race course, A dodle for anyone on the train etc but everyone to there own. 

I normally sea a few vehicles heading over on my ferry or at least in the port but seen none this year apart from getting off on Wendesday and a few were entering Dover to go to France !!!

As for heat, After over 30 years in an Engine room (not all in one stint) I try and stay clear of it unless a well stocked bar is close by......speaking of which, I had to stay in Calais ( tax purposes), Hotel I use is like a sweat box at times, but that night......... an afternoons beer was turned into sweat within miutes, thinking at the time -30 at Batus wasnt that bad really.

Even at Euston Station at 0930 it was uncomfortable, luckily my journey went without any delays.

Hopefully next year for me, Maybe the Matchless and BSA will be done by then........

Geoff, I Totally Concur! I Really Liked the Atmos Etc at Folkstone too. A Fresh Venue with lot's of Greenery & due to being on a slope on one side of the displays. You could look down & view almost everything from where you stood! There was more than sufficient room for camping & the potential space there. For so many more vehicles etc. You would never fill those areas! The show moved before the five years lease was up, & as far as I know. The venue is still empty?  I would like to see a Major show reappear there again, I have to say. Very sad to see W&P move back to Beltring, but there you are! Some People I know, didnt like the Folkstone venue. But that is People for you. We all have different ideas of what We like & where shows are I would say? If a Show opened again at Folkstone, I for one. Would heartily support it! ;) 

I have to admit I was one of the people that hated Folkstone, I went to the first one and that was it for me and since it moved back to Beltring I haven't been back.

As for CMV I received mine yesterday, read it and I am now seriously considering cancelling subscription. I think the publishers should read fly past, packed with really interesting articles every month and then you read cmv full of adverts and  badly written, poorly researched articles.

Jon

4 hours ago, johann morris said:

I have to admit I was one of the people that hated Folkstone, I went to the first one and that was it for me and since it moved back to Beltring I haven't been back.

As for CMV I received mine yesterday, read it and I am now seriously considering cancelling subscription. I think the publishers should read fly past, packed with really interesting articles every month and then you read cmv full of adverts and  badly written, poorly researched articles.

Jon

Surly Mr Fletcher's articles are not poorly researched, as for the rest excluding Tim Gosling of course I agree..... Just purchased Flyfast and ready to enjoy.

Re the Folkestone site, I understand that is under starters orders (!) for housing development with the usual argy bargy twixt local council and the developers over how many little (expensive) boxes they can cram into the place.  Also, remember the hassle in the last show there with Operstion Stack on the M20!

6 hours ago, johann morris said:

and then you read cmv full of adverts and  badly written, poorly researched articles.

Jon

I think you have to be careful about such blanket generalisations like this - names that spring to mind include Karl Ludwigsen, Tim Gosling, John Teasdale, Duncan Glen, Jim Kinnear and others who also write well researched stuff (I know that these names aren't in the issue you are discussing) but I don't think you should do them a disservice. 

I was a fan of the Folkestone site but as I said further up this thread - W&P's glory days aren't coming back... JC

Folkestone_new.jpg

Edited by Jolly Jeeper

2 hours ago, Bob Grundy said:

Surly Mr Fletcher's articles are not poorly researched, as for the rest excluding Tim Gosling of course I agree..... Just purchased Flyfast and ready to enjoy.

As above about generalisations... Surely Mr Fletcher isn't surly? I found him quite pleasant

Folkestone-2_new.jpg

Edited by Jolly Jeeper

Rose tinted glasses are a wonderful thing, how wonderful Folkestone was, realy, went a few times always the same jobsworths W&P staff who's one purpose in life to be as unhelpful and disrespectful as they could. A show has its moments some people like it others don't never changes. For me the best days at W&P are twenty or more years ago for others maybe they are still to come as for CMV lost its charm when two mags became one, I find the club magazines a much better read but this is only my opinion 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, johann morris said:

Jon

CMV - 82 pages £4.70

Flypast 130 pages £4.80

Flypast is by far the better of the two magazines.

16 hours ago, LarryH57 said:

Or MVT membership £35 - 6 magazines a year = £5.83 each with 'free' insurance

I'm glad you approve of the six Windscreen per year seeing that it was me that got it changed from four plus the Green Sheets. As times changed, the Green Sheets were attracting fewer and fewer classifieds so were essentially redundant and the cost of printing and mailing them as well as Windscreen meant that it was more cost effective to move to six Windscreens. 

des mb_new.jpg

Edited by Jolly Jeeper

Going back to the subject reflections on war and peace, several people talked about other shows, I noticed tanks, ,trucks and firepower running this weekend. As I am out of the country I am unable to attend but it s this the ‘other’ show people in the thread have been talking about?

3 minutes ago, SirLanceUK said:

Going back to the subject reflections on war and peace, several people talked about other shows, I noticed tanks, ,trucks and firepower running this weekend. As I am out of the country I am unable to attend but it s this the ‘other’ show people in the thread have been talking about?

They may also have been referring to Wartime in the Vale and the Yorkshire Wartime Experience -June and July dates respectively. There's the Capel show too

I was not really aware of these shows and no one did a comparison. 

I would be interested in people’s opinions about the different shows as yet I have only been to war and peace, as it’s not “that” far from me. But if there is something ‘better’ out there efforts could be made to attend 

'Military Odyssey' is on over the BH long weekend at the Detling showground overlooking Maidstone in Kent (old Coastal Command, etc airfield) and that has pretty much maintained its quality and friendly feel.  Its more re-enactment down the ages but inevitably WW2 figures large and the turnout of MVs seems to grow each year.  Not much armour or rare stuff, but there is a pretty good indoor and outdoor military dealer stall setup.....mostly "smalls" and clothing, deact arms,  military surplus kit, etc.  They have a large arena for the bigger battles and lots of displays elsewhere going on all the time.  

Just got back from 'Military Odyssey' and boy, that did not disappoint.   It may not yet be the premier MV show, but as an event that covers war through the ages, the MV turnout was cracking!  Some really nice British WW2 kit and some fascinating displays, eg the mules of the Chindits......with mules!  WW2 Romanian display; WW1 German Naval platoon in Africa.  Glad to see the huge grassy carpark was FULL under the blue skies.  

• Like 1

I'm just back from Tanks Trucks and Firepower. Its fairly local to me so I set up Wednesday, and stayed from Thursday through to Monday night. Great show, free to enter with a very very freindly atmosphere and with a massive field to one side just for the AFVs to play around in. Ive been going for about 5 years and every year it has grown biger and better each time. Being situated near Rugby means that its fairly accessible to a large area of the country as well. Look at thier Facebook page (if you do it) for some pictures and video.

PT