introduction

keviwal

hi all,

I,m new here and thought it would be great to say hi here

I have a huge interest in any "green kit" suppose thats got something to do with being ex forces!

I currently have the use of a chieftain arrv at work yeah ok ok you may say lucky so and so . It was bought for a project we are working on and i needed a big winch hmmmmm i thought many a time we got bogged in soltau and i remembered the arrv !! went to my boss he said "NO" then thought about and said yes !! took about 8 months to track one down and the rest is history . Have spent a fortune getting back into an operational condition ie everything working etc . Alot of arrvs that were disposed had all the spool valves removed so the winches etc couldnt be used , luckily this one had them all.

Anyways any advice or pictures of the arrv needed please do get intouch.

Bye for now

K Walker

hi again,

Well the arrv is used for pulling things over like lorry trailers etc , measuring side loadings that kind of thing. The main winch is good for about 40 ton on a straight pull but with blocks added can get about 90 ton ( not that i would ever need that much).

Kind regards,

K Walker

At least we know who gets the next washroom duty. Given to the man that has the kit to pull the various foreign bodies out that people have been putting down them. Wonder if I could talk my bosses into getting an ARV to recover the buses? Some of the places you'd need the armour.

hi again one and all,

I have posted some pics and will post some video too on the other part of the site! one of the pics (black and white) is when it was was new and you will notice that there is no crane on it , this was retro fitted in 1985. Are there any ex reme guys here that used to use arrvs ( always on the lookout for technical expertise :-)

We are having the engine out next week due to a small fuel leak. Right pain in the back side can see the leak but cannot get to it without removing the powerpack, oh well that will keep us busy for the day!!

Talk soon i,m sure

Kind regards

Kev Walker

Welcome aboard Kevin and sounds like you have found the right site as it is full of infomation and help from some of the top people in the movement. My art is paint stripping by using a bonfire :whistle:

And please don't park that ARV outside the HMVF Clubhouse as N.O.S. has just weeded the Pansy flowerbed - he ain't gonna be happy if you drive 50 tons of armour over it!

Hi Kevin

Nice CHARRV, Is it one of the old Ashchurch vehicles? I managed to do a big photo shoot with them when 6BTN brought them down to Salisbury Plain a few years back. Unlike yours, all the CHARRVs were non runners and in a poor state of repair. I would love one of these monsters but one thinks the wife would have somthing to say about that.

Thanks for sharing

Tony

Hi David,

I,m not sure of it's history as regards to it being at Ashchurch, something tells it was. When we bought it it was pretty much all there ie everything was connected just needed to get it all working, god those winches are nightmare zero space to work on them! must dig out some pics of that one.

Kind regards,

Kev Walker

Welcome aboard Kevin. You can use the ARRV to shunt in the beer and vol-au-vents for this years Christmas Party. It is a black tie event. All the usual jokes apply. Seeing Jack in clothes is bad enough, but just in a black tie. Thank God the CF card crashed or this site would look like something else entirely and would probably get a lot more hits. Now there's a thought, Jack. Calendar girls was a success - who would play you in the film of the HMVF calendar blokes?? I could just about hide my modesty behind a MkIII helmet - or one of those old Swiss ones that cost either a tenner, or £150 quid depending on the muppet salesman.

BTW Kevin. The clubhouse cleaning rota is being discussed by the moderators and you will be given a task before the winter solstice. It was nice to see Jack wants you to keep off the pansies. I thought we were in for some litigation before you'd hardly started - he likes a barney. Blame it on his country ways, He used to be Catweazle.

And please don't park that ARV outside the HMVF Clubhouse as N.O.S. has just weeded the Pansy flowerbed - he ain't gonna be happy if you drive 50 tons of armour over it!

Oh ess aitch one tea, I thought they were weeds. Hi Kevin, would you mind rolling the thick layer of mulch which I've just applied to where the pansies are no longer? It'll help keep the moisture in. If Jack asks what you are up to, it's not road planings, it's black bark from the asphalt tree...

:whistle:

I KEEP telling the cook, be more careful about those mushrooms he serves for breackfast. :dunno:

The cook is useless - puts sugar in porridge and don't even talk about the black pudding. There's no hope of decent haggis and the blighter cannot cook an egg. I'd sack him - but Jack's in charge of that sort of stuff. I just do the talking. Thank god for the local pizza parlour.

Oh ess aitch one tea, I thought they were weeds. Hi Kevin, would you mind rolling the thick layer of mulch which I've just applied to where the pansies are no longer? It'll help keep the moisture in. If Jack asks what you are up to, it's not road planings, it's black bark from the asphalt tree...

:whistle:

Well they look like planings to me ,

I am in trouble now !! lol :whistle:

Regards,

Kev Walker