Petition for award of medal clasp to Dunkirk Veterans

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/242090

The link above is to a petition being raised with the Government to specifically recognise service with the British Expeditionary Force in France and Belgium from Sep 39 to Jun 40 with the award of a clasp to the 1938-45 Star.  If you are a UK resident or citizen, you are eligible to add your name to the petition should you so wish.  

10 68

Edited by 10FM68

Again, my thanks to you all - for the signatures, for the forwarding elsewhere and for your kind thoughts.  I'm sorry the petition can be signed only by UK-residents: but it is comforting to know that, at least the original evacuation - Operation DYNAMO - didn't recognise such national limitations.  For example, the Polish warship, ORP BLYSKAWICA, (Lightning) which is now the Polish Navy's museum ship, was one of many Allied vessels involved and was working in concert with HMS GREYHOUND  the ship which brought my own grandfather off the beach at La Panne. 

As an aside, the BLYSKAWICA's name was so difficult for the RN to pronounce (it's something like Bweeskaveetza) that she was generally referred to as the "Bottle of Whisky".  She was built at Cowes.  (A further aside, the Estonian submarine LEMBIT, now in their maritime museum in Tallinn, was also British-built, by Vickers Armstrong, in 1936).  Both vessels are well worth a visit if your in that part of the world.

10 68

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 3:44 PM, MatchFuzee said:

Just looked at the petition, only 277 signatures.

Has the petition had national coverage in the press or are there any famous people supporting it?

I don't know what the arrangement is with the petition, it was passed to me by a friend.  But, I grant you, it does seem to need a bit of an additional impetus if it is to make the cut.  Need to find these "Russian Bots" which seem to do so well with petitions!

10 68