Ex job..seeking Pig!

da bomb

Hello!

Stereotypical, ive been on posting before reading the instructions!

So here i am new to the forum, the main reason is that i am in the process of buying a Humber Pig and am trying to find out some more in service information about them.

I am ex RAF, and was a "Signaller" on the Tactical Communications Wing, having attended a number of parties courtesy of the Queen, most noticeably Gulf War 1, Bosnia (UNPROFOR), Kosovo and a few other dust ups involving Somalia and Albania, plus more exercises than you can shake a stick at!

The MV addiction started with buying a Series 3 landrover, it was intended for hauling logs and rocks, but it was an FFR vehicle and hadn't been hacked around, so i started to put it back to the way it should of been when i was in the forces, took it to a Land Rover show parked it up and walked away with best Series Landrover....i nearly fell over. Circumstances changed and i sold it on, and regretted it, however it does mean i can get something else to play with, and Pigs have always held an interest, mainly because they are post war and a bit forgotten about.

By the way, if you know anything about Pigs in service in Aden i would be interested!!

Welcome to the forum,

This is the home of the Pig, we have several owners who will offer you plenty of assistance.

As a new member of the forum you will need to check through the rules and regulations and you will see in subsection 36B, conventions paragraph 55, that you have to clean the clubhouse toilets for two calendar months. At the end of which you will receive your own cloth.

Jack Beckett will send you an autographed photo of himself once the film has come back from the chemists.

welcome Adam.

Great intro and you have had a very interesting life........!

Snapper is right, these really does seem to being into the home of the pig - or pigsty as some may say.

You will find plenty enough help here with your Pig as we have some rare ones here - they will be along shortly, once the have got them going :whistle:

Yes you do have Toilet duty and you can start with the ones in the HMVF workshop.......that is a baptism of fire! And the Dancing Girls should be joing us shortly to!

Ahh yes Portaloos, i find the best cleaning results are obtained when using Thunderflashes!

Failing that, wait for an American serviceman, tie a chain around said portabog and pull it over using your Land Rover!

(Incirlik Airbase, Turkey, i had nowt to do with it guv! :whistle:)

HMVF don't do portaloos. But if they did they would be the most .........(add your own) in the world.

Competition. Fill in the best suggestion and win some free Vim for the ladies powder room.

Be the most....Heavily armoured over engineered and expensive to run bogs in the world!

Hello and welcome

A man who likes postwar British armour, and a Humber to suit...

Top of the class my boy, have a cream bun and be excused prep :-D

You'll be looking for a MK 1 , for Aden, badger the Tank museum, to get rid of their MK1 and save the squirt pig in the yard :whistle: :whistle:

Would be nice to see an Aden pig set up, as Clive's, Paul and mine are all NI period, excluding Clive's Hornet.

So what are we going to call a group of pig enthusiasts :?

PIGGERS :-D :-D :-D

Adam on a more serious note stay true to your heart, be not swayed or drawn by the dark side of MV ownership (ww2 Yank).

We see the force is strong in you already, but be careful of the powerful one who takes on many forms known as Beckett Vader :shake: :shake:

Hardyferret Pig MK1 2991 OI / 27BT92 and another as yet unidentified

Adam

Obviously if possible tailor your purchase to the period you want to portray.

Trying to portray a Mk11 vehicle as something other than it is is historically incorrect and looks silly.

The Humber Pig that i am looking at is a MK1 APC (with winch!) and escaped from service in the latter part of 1968. It is in good condition, but has had a number of modifications, mainly to the front wings and the rear arches which will need sorting out to return it to spec.

I intend to find out the history of it and put it back to the correct period scheme, or failing that put it in a relevant scheme for its age i.e BAOR, Cyprus or Aden theatre in an as used working look, rather than overly shiney Queens birthday parade.

I also am not a great fan of vehicles portrayed as something they are not!

WW2 Yank.....for those who watch to many Private Ryan type movies, i prefer brit stuff, we had enough interesting actions of our own without further promoting the American armed forces!! (Is that controversial! ooh and me being a newbie!)

WW2 Yank.....for those who watch to many Private Ryan type movies, i prefer brit stuff, we had enough interesting actions of our own without further promoting the American armed forces!! (Is that controversial! ooh and me being a newbie!)

.......can feel a banning moment coming on :whistle:

Careful Jack,

I'm only up the road , and it's my Manor.... :whistle: and I'm just putting the ram back on the pig :-o

HMVF Humber military vehicle forum there is justice :-D

power to post war :evil: :evil:

Mk 1 with winch nice does it have the tyre compressor as well ??

Whats wrong with wings etc??

Regards HF

I'm just putting the ram back on the pig :-o

It reminds me my father took a picture in Eire in the early 1960s. There was an old farmer with a donkey. He went to take a picture, the farmer insisted that he put a sheep on the donkey first. Then just as he went to take the picture the farmer made a chicken stand on top of the sheep. Obviously his party piece for the tourists.

Careful Jack,

I'm only up the road , and it's my Manor.... :whistle: and I'm just putting the ram back on the pig :-o

HMVF Humber military vehicle forum there is justice :-D

power to post war :evil: :evil:

Mk 1 with winch nice does it have the tyre compressor as well ??

Whats wrong with wings etc??

Regards HF

The winch is missing it's propshaft, although a mate of mine has one....dont ask! we think it may have had a problem with the overload cut off switch killing the engine, but can overcome it, and it also has the compressor, which appears to be working fine, although my mate has spares....again dont ask he just seems to have loads of bits that also happen to fit other stuff!

The front wings have been replaced and dont have the lockers, the rear wings look like the cut down N.I. versions with no lockers, so bad people couldnt fill them with IED's.

I haven't had the chance to drive it yet, but if it has heavy steering, 4wd that works, brakes that just about stop it and wallowy handling it should be alright!!

The engine sounds sweet as a nut etc so looking forward to it.

Anybody got some decent pictures of the front and rear wings, complete with lockers??