Gas

Mark

Question

15 answers to this question

In holland lots of people have GMCs on LPG, I'm thinking of running my Dodge on LPG too. A new LPG installation here cost from €1000 till €2000 (built in for you). Alternatively you can source all the parts from a scrapyard and build it yourself, which is of course the cheapest option. If you know how much you spent on petrol each year you can calculate if it's worth it.

I was riding in a gas powered Jimmy a couple of weeks ago, the owner says you can hardly notice the difference. On the plus side as well there is plenty of room to put the tank ;-) This one had it disguised as a tool chest in the back.

:-D Tony how can you say such a thing Ken loves Buses :whistle: hes even given everyone except the wage earning idiots cheep/free travel just to encourage them so they can afford the 200 quid a day. :roll:

:argh: :banghead: :banana: :dancinggirls: :yay: :drool: :died: I DRIVE a bus in Ken's haven. If I put what bus drivers call TFL Jack would moderate ban and hang draw and quarter me. Let's say the drivers aren't impressed. so to keep him happy, there were two Hydrogen powered (Gas) buses on trial with us in north of the paradise. Very nice machines , stunningly quick, but same problem, cost of maintenance and fuel used. Also as gas doesen't have lead does the head have to be done as well?

TFL Transport For London?

We could turn this into a captions thread. Who's brave enough to get near Tony's definition?

MOD EDIT

MOD EDiT

Thankyou For (your) Lolly.

I haven't been on a bus since 1956, do you think Ken will tax me for such a crime?

:offtopic: If you want to talk politics please pick another appropriate forum

Back on the topic: LPG is a good solution cost-wise for any petrol powered MV. It needs a bit of advance tweaking but surely it isn't a major headache.

I dreamt of getting a Green Goddess and having her LPGed, but since i could never drive her legally in Italy I gave up.

However, if you have troubles with your carburettor LPG is the quickest fix since all you need is a venturi and a butterfly.

Andrea

Gas burning technology has been around as long as the internal combustion engine. Italy was producing, producer and charcoal wood gas vehicles back in 1920's. If it's that good why does liquid fuel prodominate? Its a lot of money, can lead to problems on ferries and is an absolute NO in the eurotunnel. There have also been construction and use issues in the past, and insurance. The only reason it apperas it is worthwhile at the moment in UK is (Sorry Jack) the political mood, whiich changes with the weather. LPG is only cheap because of subsidy. If that goes it would more expensive than conventional fuel. It is also in Short supply so don't expect the price to hold. I looked very carfully at doing my 101. 5 years ago it would have taken 30,000 miles a year over 4 and half years to make it viable. Admitted fuel has gone up, but so has the conversion.

This may or may not help, but a bit of info anyway...

I used to run a Cherokee Jeep on LPG and the figures I had at the time were:

Cost of instillation and second hand kit...£1500.00

LPG around 45ppl (about half price of U/L)

MPG: U/L around 21mpg, LPG around 14mpg

With various lengthy and probably over complicated mathmatics I worked out I was saving about £5.00 every 100 miles and it would take me about two to two and a half years to recoup the initial expendature doing about 13000 miles a year.

That should give you some idea of whether it will be financially viable or not.

The only aggro I had was range, I had an 80ltr tank fitted that will fill to 80% (60ltr or so) and would invariably have to fill up every 200 miles.

Proliferation of LPG filling stations is fairly good on the whole however since the vast majority of filling stations have only one (allbeit double) pump, if it's out of order it's onwards with fingers crossed or switch back to petrol.

As Tony said, crossing the channel means outside on the ferry only and the price is only held low due to reduced duty, however there are no current plans as far as I know that this will change as current usage is relatively low and the increase in revenue will be insignificant in contrast to the loss of 'green' credibilty if they brought duty into line with U/L.

I see your point Tugger. the problem with military vehicles is the milage they do. Add the MOT exemptions on some or special rules, plus most are tax exempt anyway, and you get the cost problem. I agree if your using a petrol 4x4 for everyday it is a serious consideration. My Range rover has a 2.8 litres turbo Isuzu disiel in it. Now that or the 3.1 is an engine to consider if you disiell convert. Superb reliability and no loss of performance and 30 miles on a run.

Thanks gents reading all the above I do not think it would be viable to change to gas, I probably do a thousand miles a year in an Mv so it would take a long time to recoup the cost.

I agrre with the Isuzu, I have a 3.1 Bighorn :whistle: cracking motor and pulls like an ox.

The Aussie Perenties have the Isuzu. I was working for MOD at the time and Chobham were testing one so I phoned them and asked what were the problems with the engine. Answer : Don't overfill with oil. there suggestion run about a 1/16 low on the dipstick, so far about 200,000 miles that I know of on the Rangie engine no problems, oh tell a lie, one rebuilt injector, contaminated fuel from Jerry can. For injectors etc Isuzu recommended me a company called Feather diesel. Great people really know their business.

http://www.feather-diesel.co.uk/