Landrover series 3... poor idol

paul connor

Question

Ok, i have no manuals and quite new to the landrover FFR engine!

The landy runs very rich from what i can see, black smoke on revs and hint of fuel in the air...

also will only idol with choke, how easy is it to adjust the carb.. as this is my instant port of call?

There is a small gust of blue smoke on start, but it is 25 years old, if i start using alot of oil ill rebuild what i have to..

but for now, i would like to sort the carb.. any one have any diagrams etc?

Also, with the axles what grade lube do they contain? and any general ideas!

If anyone in the Brighton area could come give me a small service idea would be grand! if not a few pointers would be nice!

Paul

16 answers to this question

Paul,

You can try buying a carb rebuild kit, they aren't expensive. I rebuilt mine twice, it didn't seem to help, so I bought a brand new manufacture carb rather than an NOS one. It was around £100 but it made one hell of a difference.

My Lightweight was using a lot of oil and pumping out black smoke the other year. This problem peaked at Beltring, on the way home I was struggling to get up the hills and I almost didn't get allowed through the Dartford tunnel.

I stripped the engine down and found the rings on one of the pistons were knackered. There was also a chunk missing from the piston. I put in new valves, valve guides, gaskets, a new piston, 4 sets of rings and honed the cylinders. All these parts are quite cheap and the manuals are easy to find and easy to follow.

Chris

The original carbs (Solex) were crap! The butterfly spindle bore wears in the main body and it leaks more than it burns. No doubt you have a big brown stain on the manifold? That's leaking fuel and it's why old Landies always stink of petrol :-D

The smoke on start-up is worn valve guide seals 'They all do that sir' and is not a problem as long as it's just one puff :-o

mines got a webber carb on it. the smoke at start up they all do it even our discovery gives out one puff of smoke at start and they run fine its just one of things.

and sometimes if it has been stood the engine will pump out some smoke of revs till its had a run and been cleaned out.

as for the choke will mine is similar but let it idel on choke for 5 mins then slowly close it up and it should run smoothly (works with mine and mine is a FFR)

I think my idle is alittle low, hence needs adjusting and resetting as will not run with out choke even after a run to the tip the other day...

Ill buy a manual next week when i get paid and get things under way!

where is he best place to buy FFR dizzy annd HT parts for spares..

Paul,

Some of the dealers were buying military reconditioned engines, stripping them down and selling the bits on. I got a fully reconditioned 24volt distributor from Craddocks on ebay for about £10 a while back. Keep looking on ebay as the parts often turn up there.

As for your idle, theres an adjustment screw for this at the carb end of the throttle linkage. Just give it a tweak 1/2 a turn at a time and see if it makes any difference. As yours is an FFR it will also have a hand throttle. Use this to see what kind of speed is required to run without the choke.

Chris