NOVA required ?

andy1960

Question

10 answers to this question

On 2/11/2018 at 8:10 PM, andy1960 said:

Hi Just wondered if someone could give me a quick answer...Is it a requirement to get a NOVA for an age related application for road registration of a WW2 vehicle if its of British origin?

Many Thanks Andy

Yes. It is part of the process for all 'first registrations' regardless of their geographical origin. Call HMRC and explain the history. They will issue you with a NOVA number but there will be no requirement to pay any duty. It will go on their system against the chassis number. To speed up the process you should quote it to DVLA in your covering letter with the V55/5 but DVLA can look it up for themselves.

- MG

After phoning HMRC about 2 years ago to ask about a NOVA certificate for a 1942 WD Velocette and explaining that to my knowledge it had never been out of the country, they told me I didn't need a NOVA. So I mentioned that in a letter to DVLA with my application. The registration was accepted and I received an age related number within a couple of weeks.

I have subsequently registered two more WW2 military motorcycles with dating letters from MVT with no mention of the NOVA and both were accepted. However one of them did require an inspection by the DVLA appointed inspectorate (SGS) which I gather is called for on a random basis of about 1 in 10......Or if they have any suspicions about a vehicle. Ron  

PS Andy. Dating letter for the Velo was from Roger Franklin :thumbsup:

Edited by Ron

Things do seem a bit hit and miss with bringing in old vehicles. Some years back I helped a friend bring in Austin K3 lorry from Jersey, that had been owned by a friend of mine. Got down to docks and shipping agent said what about VAT? I said What about it? Apprenetly VAT had to be paid on  import. Asked the value of vehicle I said £250 (toung very much in cheek) . Shipper accepted that VAT requisite for £250was paid certificate given Have a nice day!

But when I brought the Dodge WC54 Katy over, , and the same group of people in Jersy were involved in the ownership  as with the K3, Customs asked Where did you get this? I explained it left to me in Carol's will. How long have you owned it? I explained that probate in Jersey was a year and a day, and that time had expired the previous week. The  reply was oh well as you have had it a year it's your personal property, have a safe trip. 

Both vehicles had been exported from UK to Jersey albeit in the case of the K3 in 1946,  when I went to re  register them, no problem in fact I even got Katy's original VEN  number back as it  had not been reissued and I asked could I have it. Mind you THEN you had a DVLA manned office in Sidcup with a lot of knowlagable helpful people to  advise on paperwork.

I have a 101fc ambulance with a UK registration declared SORN, it is in the NL (got told a SORN is not valid in another country but i did not want to declare registrations to them because of reasons) i can import it in to holland on a 1983 registration, perhaps older if i get a herritage certificate and a tow limit of 3500kg on a braked trailer. Then after a month or two get it driving to the UK on dutch plates and i believe i have to declare it through the nova sceme, can i apply for the old registration again? 

If it's an Historic vehicle and as long as you have proof of the original registration. ie old buff log book. It's quite possible to reclaim it's original number if it hasn't already been used up (cherish number). Years gone by, you could often claim the number from it's number plates or tax disc, but I don't think DVLA will accept that any more.

Modern vehicles that are on the V5C computer system should get their original number back as a matter of course. For instance, I've had a cherished number for about 30 years and whenever I change my car, they always automatically give the car it's old number back.  Ron