V1 found near Canary Wharf

Marmite!!

Reuters - Saturday, July 28 04:14 pm

LONDON (Reuters) - Police closed streets near Canary Wharf on Saturday after an unexploded German flying bomb from World War Two was found on a construction site.

Bomb disposal experts were called in to make the V1 missile safe after it was unearthed close to the complex that houses 80,000 office workers during the working week, police said. At weekends the area is busy with shoppers and visitors.

Police closed several roads around the site in Millharbour, a road in the former docklands.

"Ambulance, fire and police are there and the building site has been evacuated," a police spokesman said. The area was cordoned off, he said.

Thousands of V1s, nicknamed "Doodlebugs", were fired at the capital during the war, with the docks a prime target.

Hundreds of unexploded bombs from the war are buried across the country, according to government figures. They are unearthed from time to time, often during building excavations.

Canary Wharf's tenants include Bank of America, Barclays, Citigroup, HSBC, the Independent and Reuters.

Well at least they know who to blame this one on.

One day in 1985 I went home for lunch as usual. Just as I was about to go back to camp, a vehicle came round with a a tannoy. We were all instructed to evacuate our houses and head for the NAAFI complex just up the road in Imphal Barracks, Osnabruck. An RAF bomb had been found at the end of our street and an RAOC EOD Disposal team was on its way.

Having deposited wife and two infants outside the NAAFI I went back to work. By the end of the day the bomb had been destroyed by controlled explosion.

My wife told her mother about it next time we phoned. Her mother joked that these bombs were always found in sticks of three.

A week later, sure enough, they found bomb number two outside the Estate Office. A fortnight previously the Estate Warden had taken huge amounts of stick from all these army wives whose day had been so disrupted, so he just picked the bomb up and moved it. (They were early-war bombs and not very big: there wasn't much left of them anyway, none of the remnants being HE). They never did find the third bomb - maybe one of the three had exploded 35 years earlier. We would have found the headline funny "RAF Bomb Destroys Married Quarters".

One day in 1985 I went home for lunch as usual. Just as I was about to go back to camp, a vehicle came round with a a tannoy. We were all instructed to evacuate our houses and head for the NAAFI complex just up the road in Imphal Barracks, Osnabruck. An RAF bomb had been found at the end of our street and an RAOC EOD Disposal team was on its way.

Having deposited wife and two infants outside the NAAFI I went back to work. By the end of the day the bomb had been destroyed by controlled explosion.

My wife told her mother about it next time we phoned. Her mother joked that these bombs were always found in sticks of three.

A week later, sure enough, they found bomb number two outside the Estate Office. A fortnight previously the Estate Warden had taken huge amounts of stick from all these army wives whose day had been so disrupted, so he just picked the bomb up and moved it. (They were early-war bombs and not very big: there wasn't much left of them anyway, none of the remnants being HE). They never did find the third bomb - maybe one of the three had exploded 35 years earlier. We would have found the headline funny "RAF Bomb Destroys Married Quarters".

:rofl: the saying,........Yes I know, :whistle:

'did the earth/room/building move for you, as well, darling', (unfortunatly) comes to mind.................. :roll: :-D