GMC,Open or closed?

Guest matt

Well I may not be a CCKW owner, but my Chevy has the same basic cab as the closed cab CCKW. To me, the closed cab is a stunning looking design, full of 1930's art-deco styling cues. Yes you'll bake in the summer, but when the rain starts pouring I will just shut my windscreen, wind up my windows, and offer my spare water-proofs to you open cab boys!!

:-)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm biased as I just bought a closed cab, and that took a little searching to find one with original body and no winch (which is what I wanted). There are loads of open cabs around and whilst the most common version in the ETO during WW2, there are many pictures of closed cabs, especially in AAF service.

In its most basic form, the 353/352 closed cab (1608 cab) is really a stretched G506!! (Now that's another truck I want - G7107, without winch, so all leads appreciated!)

I wouldn't mind the Cletrac listed on Milweb, but don't have transport to take it to shows and really need to get my 353 done first!

I personally prefer the closed cab . It looks the part . And as mentionned before on hot days it is comfortable with windscreen open , and to lean elbow on door for comfort .

They are also easyer for getting in and out of . Seen somebody this September getting out of his open cab , and his foot stayed just behind the door arch , and landed on his face in front of an audience. :-D

And you don`t have to buy expensive canvas.

• 4 months later...
I personally prefer the closed cab . It looks the part . And as mentionned before on hot days it is comfortable with windscreen open , and to lean elbow on door for comfort .

They are also easyer for getting in and out of . Seen somebody this September getting out of his open cab , and his foot stayed just behind the door arch , and landed on his face in front of an audience. :-D

Expensive canvas is still much cheaper than metal........ its the room that I like in the rag top, but then I would I have one...... I have to confess that if I had to go on a long trip in the depths of winter I would have to take the closed cab!!!!!!! just goes to prove really that they both have their +s and -s. Its the doors with there regular maintenance that bothers me....... it would be O.K. if you had one from new, you could make sure that you looked after the door inners.

The 352 short wheel base closed cab is a fabulous looking truck, I would like one of them to go with my 353 long wheel base rag top..... that would make me a happy bunny, never satisfied are we????.:cool2:

• 3 weeks later...
Looks like I might need to convert my closed cab to an open cab.

Can anyone advise exactly where to cut the door posts and rear panel? (I don't want to go to the expense of buying a complete open cab assy) :whistle:

If you can just leave that conversion job untill the winter months, I am sure that you will change your mind again............. save yourself a lot of money, and I have the open cab one!!!!! and actually I do love it. But they do both have their -S & +S, certainly a short wheelbase closed cab does look very nice. :kissoncheek: