Graves

Guest matt

My mother and I have just spent the last couple of hours tidying the grave of a local man who was killed in 1941 while serving as a pilot in the RAF.he has no surviving family and no one has cared for the grave for years so I decided to do somthing about it before Sunday,just a case of some weeding and cleaning the moss off the headstone.I did ask the CWGC about this some time ago but as the headstone was supplied by the family and not the military they have no interest.

I was just wondering how many other military graves there are in small village graveyards across the country that go un-noticed and uncared for?

Matt.

Nice thought Matt.

Less than a mile from where I live here in Portsmouth, we have a local cemetery with the highest concentration of VC's recipients, in the world. 8, I believe.

Much the same story. Sad.

In less than a weeks time those that be will be pronouncing "We will remember them"

Nice thought Matt.

Less than a mile from where I live here in Portsmouth, we have a local cemetery with the highest concentration of VC's recipients, in the world. 8, I believe.

Much the same story. Sad.

In less than a weeks time those that be will be pronouncing "We will remember them"[/quote

Bit of a kick in the teeth really is'nt it!

Hi Colin,

If the graves are poorly maintained it might be worth giving the CWGC a ring,or even a local military base.one of the RAF lads in the village looks after some of the local military graves in his own time.

Matt.

Ok,

Now Matt has got me thinking again and how about this as an idea;

It looks like people would HMVF to some how have a charity that we can donate to. I am hoping that every one is getting the idea that this site likes to do things differently so how about we take Matts concept of caring for an, lets say, 'untided' grave. Not wanting to sound insensitive but something like 'adopt a grave' to do exactly what Matt has just done but on a national scale.

We could promote this and get children involved as well, what better way of keeping these guys memories in ours.

It would be wise to run this along side poppy week.

Well Done, Matt. Must admit, I know there are a couple of wartime graves, one german, in local grave yard, but not thought about the maintenance issue; Must go see...........

That sounds like a good,positive idea Jack;

Might be worth getting the British Legion involved, or at least contacting them.

Andy