HELP - GMC brake drums - I am going to kill it!

Jack

Folks, I am having problems :cry:

Trying to remove my rear brake drums on the GMC. The problem that I am having is that there is something there that should be there :dunno:

I seem to have a spacer that sits between the drum and the wheel. The TM

makes no mention of this 'spacer' and the diagram makes no pictorial reference to it either. Lawsons GMC is a split axle too and he has no 'spacers' either so I am thinking that perhaps this is a Norwegian modification? :dunno: Lawsons GMC has bar treads on it where as mine are Norwegian...

I need to be able to remover this spacer as I need to get to the countersunk screws underneath so that I can remove the drum.

Has anyone any ideas???

Your frustratedly.

Jack.

width=640 height=480http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/hmvf/hub1.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s15/hmvf/Hub2.jpg[/img]

Hi Jack

You will need to remove the hub complete with brake drum, :-(you have the early type, later trucks are fitted with demountable drums, at the point you are now, remove 3 screws, drum slips off, which makes life a lot easier :-)

Never mind. all good fun.

Rob

can you knock a flat screwdriver between the spacer and the end of the drum, and then spin the drum, removing the screwdriver and re-inserting, to work it loose?

Looks like it might just be made up with paint.

Sorry don't know much about these, but if it's just a spacer ring slipped over the wheel studs, it should pry loose (hopefully)

Take time, few cups of tea etc :-)

Failing that, are you sure the drum comes off seperately from the hub, it might be that you have to take the lot of? Clutching at straws though, honest answer is I don't know, but in situations like this, I try to take my time, and reduce the risk of any unforseen damage!

Hi Jack

Please dont kill innocents brake drums. You will find it hard to get replacements. Rob is probably right, I’ve heard something like that before but I’m lucky to have the later models on my rears but not the front. (see picts on my www) The next problem could be the brake pads if they are attached to the drum they won’t let go of it. You will have to release pads by the two bolts on the upper back side of the brake basic plate. Don’t know the right terms for all that and I’m not at home right now to look it up in my manual. Hope you will get the idea anyway. I cant remember if they have to be turned CW or CCW. You will find out.

Have fun and good luck

Kim

Hi Jack. Have you tried a gentle application ogf the gass axe? how is the spacer fitted. Looking at the photos it appears to slip on , but the dip in the middle looks suspect. Can you get a puller round it? Are any adjuster full off? A few bongs with the Lego master key at this point. Relives your sstress if nothoing else.

1) Undo bolts around halfshaft (centre of hub)

2) Pull out halfshaft

3) Does the hub spin freely? If so brake shoes are not binding, but a good idea to slacken off brake adjuster anyway (sometimes get an unworn ridge around inside edge of drum which prevents drum from sliding over shoes freely)

4) The outer hub nut (locknut) has a steel tab washer locking it - bend this free of nut

5) Take your hub nut box spanner and undo both nuts (what do you mean you have not got one?....)

6) Pull off hub (with integral brake drum), drop bearings in dirt on floor and bite tongue

7) Retire to pub pleased with progress to date, reflecting on the fact that it could have been a lot worse e.g. mortar fire dropping all around...

8) Make note to acquire workshop manual at earliest opportunity to prevent premature cutting up of truck in frustration

Alternatively trade in for nice Ward laFrance

Oh the joys of working on Jimmies.......... :shake:

First of all - I would like to apologies to my brake drum for threatening to kill, it was misguided of me and may be little harsh...........sorry brake drum.

Secondly thank you to everyone for the advice Rob and NOS and many thanks to R Cubed for calling me and walking me through it - spot on advice. All is now quite at HMVF Towers :whistle:

I know I have said it before but this is why HMVF works - because and more than happy to help each other out, long may that continue.

Jack.

PS - I think I will write a little technical article on this when I have taken the pcitures just so that it may help others that come across this scenario.

First of all - I would like to apologies to my brake drum for threatening to kill, it was misguided of me and may be little harsh...........sorry brake drum.

Secondly thank you to everyone for the advice Rob and NOS and many thanks to R Cubed for calling me and walking me through it - spot on advice. All is now quite at HMVF Towers :whistle:

I know I have said it before but this is why HMVF works - because and more than happy to help each other out, long may that continue.

Jack.

PS - I think I will write a little technical article on this when I have taken the pcitures just so that it may help others that come across this scenario.

nice to have had a quick chat with you tonight Jack AKA The Pink One (so whats with the name change then????? :dunno:)

Would this have not been an ideal application for the

HMVF REPAIRCAM ?

Far better than any other Reality T.V. entertainment!

Us armchair restorers could monitor in real time the valiant efforts of comrades as they struggle with an obstinate assembly, and hide behind the sofa when the big hitty thing or the hot spanner comes out to play.

Not much good in my workshop, unless you want to sit and watch some blue tarpaulins (and the XXXXXX mice) for weeks on end. Although when I do finally get around to something I'm sure you would all have a really good laugh.........

Perhaps Markheliops could set up REPAIRCAM when the Ward rear bogie job gets underway - it would rival a live medical operating procedure with all that SAE 90 gushing everywhere - Quick nurse - more silicone sealer!

In fact, when you consider that a doctor can now supervise (i.e. virtually perform) a complex medical procedure half way round the world by means of cameras and stuff (and a person who can follow instructions at the other end), Repaircam could untap a vast resource of experience and knowledge of specific mechanical / electrical tasks. :rtfm: :

I'd just love for someone "who can" to guide me through the process of applying paint with a spraygun without the need to hold a paintbrush in the other hand....