Vehicle history on Austin K2

ww2rupert

Hello

I have recently been in touch with the RLC regarding any info on my Austin K2 GS lorry, they are still looking into it, but wondered if anyone on here might know something?

It's supposed to be a 1943 Austin K2 GS lorry, but the cab is a K3 of 1943 date as noted on the plate, but the chassis is definitely K2, the data plate on the body says the following:-

MINISTRY OF SUPPLY W.V.3

VEHICLE NUMBER 38 RU 76

CHASSIS NUMBER 47122

CLASS OF REPAIR "REBUILD"

DATE OF REBUILD 1/52

MTRS No B/265

I bought this lorry about 10 yrs ago from Shaun Hindle from the East of England military museum, I have tried contacting him to find out more info but with no luck/response.

I'm thinking the truck is a "bitsa" but that doesn't worry me if it is, I would just like to know one way or the other and if it is genuine then what history it might have?

Any help greatly appreciated, incidentally the RLC museum says the W.V.3 has come up as a 1962 Austin 1 1/2 ton van???

Regards

Colin

Hello

I have recently been in touch with the RLC regarding any info on my Austin K2 GS lorry, they are still looking into it, but wondered if anyone on here might know something?

It's supposed to be a 1943 Austin K2 GS lorry, but the cab is a K3 of 1943 date as noted on the plate, but the chassis is definitely K2, the data plate on the body says the following:-

MINISTRY OF SUPPLY W.V.3

VEHICLE NUMBER 38 RU 76

CHASSIS NUMBER 47122

CLASS OF REPAIR "REBUILD"

DATE OF REBUILD 1/52

MTRS No B/265

I bought this lorry about 10 yrs ago from Shaun Hindle from the East of England military museum, I have tried contacting him to find out more info but with no luck/response.

I'm thinking the truck is a "bitsa" but that doesn't worry me if it is, I would just like to know one way or the other and if it is genuine then what history it might have?

Any help greatly appreciated, incidentally the RLC museum says the W.V.3 has come up as a 1962 Austin 1 1/2 ton van???

Regards

Colin

Colin,

Assuming the lorry has not been messed around with since its 1952 rebuild, you should be aware that it has been issued with a "RU" army registration, that means it really has a new identity as probably went through a rework programme where it was dissected and put back together from parts of possibly a number of vehicles. Any army vehicle with letters starting with "R" are like this.

Is RLC museum saying W.V.3 refers to the vehicle type ? I think this refers to the repair scheme, a lot of the plates are WV3, there are others I've seen too. MTRS number refers to the Ministry of Supply contractor who undertook the rebuild.

Colin,

Assuming the lorry has not been messed around with since its 1952 rebuild, you should be aware that it has been issued with a "RU" army registration, that means it really has a new identity as probably went through a rework programme where it was dissected and put back together from parts of possibly a number of vehicles. Any army vehicle with letters starting with "R" are like this.

Is RLC museum saying W.V.3 refers to the vehicle type ? I think this refers to the repair scheme, a lot of the plates are WV3, there are others I've seen too. MTRS number refers to the Ministry of Supply contractor who undertook the rebuild.

Hello Richard

Yes the RLC museum says its a vehicle type, a 1963 Austin van!!

Colin

Hello Richard

Yes the RLC museum says its a vehicle type, a 1963 Austin van!!

Colin

Colin,

If it was rebuilt in 1952 and RLC say it is a 1963 vehicle, then you have a very rare Austin Time Machine !

Did you ask the museum for the Key Card for registration 38RU76 ? Also, is the chassis number tag still on the chassis rail adjacent to the steering box, and does it tally with the rebuild plate?

cheers Richard

Colin,

If it was rebuilt in 1952 and RLC say it is a 1963 vehicle, then you have a very rare Austin Time Machine !

Did you ask the museum for the Key Card for registration 38RU76 ? Also, is the chassis number tag still on the chassis rail adjacent to the steering box, and does it tally with the rebuild plate?

cheers Richard

Hello again

If only it was a time machine lol!

The RLC museum are still looking at the moment and I'm waiting to hear back from them regarding the registration number.

The chassis number on the plate DOESN'T tally with the actual number tag on the chassis rail, I'll try and get that tomorrow, the truck is all wrapped up for the winter, so it means pulling off the tarp partially, from memory it starts with a 2???

Thanks

Colin

I have Austin chassis number 47122 as a K2/YV short wheelbase Towing Unit for the National Fire Service. It should never have been used by the military.

John

Hello John

The actual chassis plate on the chassis by the steering box starts with a 2 (will have to check tomorrow) and doesn't tally with the ministry of supply plate.

Colin

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Colin,

as i say before your lorry is mex from 3 vehicles possibly in army workshop repaire after war. Similer as my K30 has closed cab from later model.

Rupert,

I have any contracts for firebrigades where are any types /YV /YP etc in one contract. It is possibl that the s.708 is the same. I have found another records in my collection. Will post in email including or database. 😉

Cheers Radek

• 3 years later...

Hi I'm in Australia I have a K2 that I've in last 2years received from a mate that his grandfather owned now my cab number and chassis number are matching trying to nail down the year two rivet no. Plate says manufacture of Birmingham numbers are k2 144644 badging on the bonnet on both sides have Austin of England is there any way to get information on this vehicle it has 7" head lights with separate glass lens air vent on roof with the Australian wooden fitted tray 

• Like 1

Hi Wizard,

Chassis number 144644 is post war K2 series 2. Could you post any pictures?

regards Radek

23 hours ago, Wizard said:

Hi I'm in Australia I have a K2 that I've in last 2years received from a mate that his grandfather owned now my cab number and chassis number are matching trying to nail down the year two rivet no. Plate says manufacture of Birmingham numbers are k2 144644 badging on the bonnet on both sides have Austin of England is there any way to get information on this vehicle it has 7" head lights with separate glass lens air vent on roof with the Australian wooden fitted tray