Soviet armour/vehicles

ArtistsRifles

Here's a question for all you experts out there.

I'm looking to add a vehicle to the fleet - preferably with tracks. I would like something from the Dark Side but apart from a halftrack over in France nothing really has said "buy me" thus far. Problem is compounded by the fact I am not (as those who know me can testify to) a small person!! So a lot of things are off the list due to me not fitting (including CVR(T)'s)

On the other hand - I am tempted by the BMP-1's currently up for grabs at places like Russian Trucks (http://www.russiantruck.co.uk/). Looks like I'd fit in the drivers seat of one of those. However - as John and Lee amongst others have pointed out - pursuing this path then leaves you at the mercy of one particular supplier for both spares and service.

So - any one got any thoughts/opinions of the purchase of Soviet armour?? Any one had any dealing with Richard Moore and his company Russian Trucks? Would you go down this path if the funds were there and why do you so answer??

I'd really value the opinions of the rest of the forum on this one!!

Here's a question for all you experts out there.

I'm looking to add a vehicle to the fleet - preferably with tracks. I would like something from the Dark Side but apart from a halftrack over in France nothing really has said "buy me" thus far. Problem is compounded by the fact I am not (as those who know me can testify to) a small person!! So a lot of things are off the list due to me not fitting (including CVR(T)'s)

On the other hand - I am tempted by the BMP-1's currently up for grabs at places like Russian Trucks (http://www.russiantruck.co.uk/). Looks like I'd fit in the drivers seat of one of those. However - as John and Lee amongst others have pointed out - pursuing this path then leaves you at the mercy of one particular supplier for both spares and service.

So - any one got any thoughts/opinions of the purchase of Soviet armour?? Any one had any dealing with Richard Moore and his company Russian Trucks? Would you go down this path if the funds were there and why do you so answer??

I'd really value the opinions of the rest of the forum on this one!!

If you have problems with CVR(T) (and I knew some very tall people who served in CVR(T)), give up on the idea of anything Soviet RIGHT NOW.

As I recently described, selection of Red Army conscripts consisted of "Let the Infantry choose as many of the smallest conscripts as they need."

"Let the armoured troops choose next: they will choose as many of the smallest as they need."

THEN they worry about tradesmen.

The BMP-1 stands no more than about 5' high. I was at Bovvy weekend before last and I was able to look into the firing ports on their BMP-1 without bending or stretching. Inside, the seats are arranged down the longitudinal axis so that the troops look outward - so they can fire their AK47s through the firing ports. They must be VERY friendly.

Likewise about 1983, as their AFV Recognition Instructor, I took a group of REME to a display of Soviet armour in Bielefeld. The T62 on display made me come over claustrophobic - and I had just completed seven years in CVR(T).

It's not the height mate - it's the width - of the hatches etc. - a 46" waist and CVR(T)'s don't mix.... Soviets stuff looks to have bigger access ways....

Of course - it maybe I go look at the stuff and find it's not suitable for that reason but it's always nice to do SOME homework first....

Neil,

When did you last try getting in a CVRT? We have a fat bloke who gets in and out and usually ends up with the rubber gasket stuck round his middle like a life belt, but he does manage it. Come over at W&P and try out our Spartan if you like! (We've also still got the Artists Rifles-marked one which will be for sale once we have time to do it :whistle:)

- Mike

I had a good look at the ones that came up for the pageant Mike - and a talk to the owners. Scimitars, Scorpions and the like were definitely a no-go.

I'll take you up on the offer of a nose in the Spartan though (haven't forgotten the AR badged one you have....)

On the topic of W&P - we've had our vehicles ferried down today on Rex's low-loader. Only we can be fool enough to be chaining armour down in the midst of a vivid display of lightning and thunder... :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well - the deal is, effectively, done!! Spent much time talking to Richard over the time he was there (probably got sick of the sight of me!! :-D ) and in 2 or 3 months time I'll be the proud owner of an OT-90.

The ones he has are immaculate inside. Everything has been refurbished, right down to all the leather strapping that has been renewed through out!! £13.5K + the DRAT - seemed to good to miss. :-o

I'm satisfied that spares won't be an issue - he reckons the longest wait will be a couple of months for a major component like an engine or g/box - but after the expenditure of 225,000 € by the Czech gov't - lets hope that sort of issue is a long way in the future. Things like filters etc - he;s over there every 2 or 3 weeks and can bring such items back if he hasn't got them in stock inhis workshop;Maintenance acces is damned good - AND - I fit in it without any issues!!!

Are these the ones that swim :dunno:

That they are Mark!! Detect a common thread here with the vehicles owned?? :-)

Wow, you sure are nuts but I like it!! :tup:

But Joris - surely an absence of anything remotely resembling sanity is a prerequisite for membership of this forum???? :-D :-D