Stupid Land rover question

Giz56

The military use an oil called EP220.

If it's an ex-military vehicle, try to get hold of army EP220 - from memory I think the EP stands for extreme pressure - but I stand to be corrected.

I smells shocking but does the job a treat.

Markheliops

Mr . Haynes says hypoid gear oil SAE 90EP

'course ....he probably says you have to dismantle the entire vehicle to put it in too :-D

I have had experience of Haynes Manuals. I had to replace an oil seal on my Wife's Corsa which involves taking the sump off. The manual said to tap the sump lightly with a soft faced hammer.... An hour later and resorting to using 2 large screwdrivers, a large club hammer and 2 crow bars later, the sump comes off as the old sump gasket had virtually glued the sump on.

Many years ago I went on a guided tour of the Haynes museum at Sparkford with the Triumph Sports Six Club - we were doing a John O'Groats to Lands End run at the time . In the workshop they had just reassembled a Sunbeam Tiger & realised that they had forgotten to do something to the engine - can't remember what now (time dims the old memory what!) and that you can't get the heads off a Tiger after you've put the engine back in . Quite comforting to know that even the 'experts' cock it up from time to time .

If it's an ex-military vehicle, try to get hold of army EP220 - from memory I think the EP stands for extreme pressure - but I stand to be corrected.

Markheliops

Mark,

EP220 is for extremely large final drive units. I don't think the LR would move with that in :-D. EP90, as has been said before is the stuff

Nige

Sorry. Being a Muppet. Memories not what is was. :roll:

EP220 for gearboxes and transfer boxes.

Was it OMD 80 for stub axles?

Oh hell - can't remember.

0X7 for brake fluid?

Help - I'm losing it. :-D

Markheliops

It was OEP220. And it did stand for Oil, Extreme Pressure.

As UNFICYP Force Reserve Squadron Sep 76 - Mar 77 in Ferret Scout Cars, one of our outposts was a bungalow on the outskirts of Larnaca. Abandoned by its Turkish-Cypriot owners during the war, it was next door to a one-time colleague of Jacques Cousteau and just down the hill from the Austrian Contingent (AUSCON) we were in support of. With the Ferrets parked in the gravel driveway, stood on the turret roof we could see aircraft taxiing on the runway at Larnaca Airport.

The people opposite owned an MGBGT V8. Registration number? EP220. What a coincidence.

My lasting memory of the vehicle park in Nicosia was the smell of OEP220 in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I was right - memories A1 OK then. :-D

Thanks for that Sirhc.

Apology excepted Nige. :-D :-D :-D

Markheliops

I apologise (late as usual) :-D Should have thought that one through

Nige