WW2 British uniform query

Scammell4199

Evening all,

I don't normally go in for the whole uniform thing, so I could do with some knowledgable advice on British wartime uniforms.

I am attending Armour and Embarkation this weekend with my jeep and want to look the part. My jeep is marked as REME 7th armoured, so I have bought from SOF some NOS wartime overalls, a green beret, REME cap badge, REME arm of service stripes, 7th armoured patches and trade patches (crossed hammer and tongs).

My question is would all those patches be worn on a pair of overalls? And in what order on the arm?

Many thanks, I look forward to seeing lots of you there at the weekend.

Richard

I would think it unlikey you'd see any insignia on overalls much like denim BD, maybe rank on a slip-on.

as for REME, it seems to depend on the division, guards seemed to keep the black beret to the armoured regiments, and attached units, other units reverted to more generic options. even 1st (motorised infantry )grenadier guards, who were in the armoured brigade, wore a kakhi beret, or GS cap (cowpat), while eleventh armoured division allegedly "everyone" wore the black beret. i would say if you were porteying a REME LAD unit attached to an armoured regiment, a black beret would be feasable, but you're probably more correct with a kahki beret or gs cap. but really you're in workwear, so the importance of regulation headdress is a bit loose, a cap comforter would be as likely. save yur insignia for a set of battledress, and probably only your "sunday best" set.

i hope this is of some help. I hope you get over the "Walt complex", l look at it from the reenactor POV, (card carrying water mitty), it always seems a shame, vehicle restorers and owners spend an enormous ammount of money and time on researching and restoring a vehicle but undermine their own efforts by turning up in civvies/modern kit, because they worry their old squaddy mates will give them a wind up? I'm sure that boat has long sailed. Just some thoughts from the counter point of "not dressing up"

Since your not a full-on reenactor and just want to generally 'look the part' I'd suggest less is more.

I'd agree with what others have said regarding insignia on overalls - probably rank only.

A khaki beret or GS cap (not sure which you've bought as the GS 'cap' is very un-cap like and is, essentially, a beret!) will be fine.

REME cap badge on the beret (make sure you get the right one) would work - but is not essential.

Plus a bair of black boots. Then you're pretty much done.

Would have to disagree about insignia being for 'Sunday best' BD - clearly not the case during WW2.

Thanks for the info guys.

I guess its one of those things that in reality there were probably a tremendous amount of variations, and the rule book not necessarily adhered to?

Just to steer back onto the subject of patches on overalls again. Could it be termed "wrong"? Since I've bought them, i'd like to wear them if its conceivable.

Thanks, Richard

The patches on overalls is down to you. But I've never seen them on overalls or denims as both were 'working' dress (But I'm not saying it was never done, just I haven't seen any period pics with it done!).

One of the lads in our group does Reme with denims and side cap (REME were a corps not a regiment so more civilised when it came to working standards :-) ).

'Officially' overalls with rank only and beret with REME cap badge.

138586839.jpg

(British Official Photograph N. BNA.8859 (W.P.)) Picture is one of a series taken at Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers' workshops on the 8th Army front. In Italy as in Libya and Tunisia, REME are doing a magnificent job of work in getting damaged armour and vehicles back into the fighting line with the least possible delay

Just to steer back onto the subject of patches on overalls again. Could it be termed "wrong"? Since I've bought them, i'd like to wear them if its conceivable.

Honestly? Yes - 'wrong'. Sorry. Overalls are workwear and would have been returned to a central laundry for care and repair. Hence what you sent in may not be what you got out again! As a result, rank only (and then often in a 'detachable' format).

If you have time to get a BD blouse then you're on firmer ground. Otherwise some armchair 'expert' will embarrass themself (and possibly you too) by picking holes in your get up.

Keep it simple - as I say; less is more.

Edited by laboisselle

Some brilliant replies, thanks chaps.

I received my kit from SOF today and on the whole very pleased, except the overalls were ripped. So will have to ring up about a replacement tomorrow. I think due course I will get a BD but this will do for the weekend.

You should all know me now when you see me (and the jeep) at the weekend, so please come hi so I can thank you in person.

Thanks again, Richard

The coveralls were a work outfit to go over the normal uniform (in theory), so wouldn't usually have had any insignia other than the mentioned slip-on ranks. You could have a look at the denim battledress, this was a work uniform too but also worn as regular clothing in warm areas. It depends on your display if it's correct to wear though.