Ferret Registration a joke in Queensland

OZITIM

I can Register my Ferret in Queensland under the 'Conditional Registration' category. This category permits me to drive on my or a designated property and designated private or dirt roads. Basically, I am permitted to drive in areas where everyone else can drive unlicensed and unregistered for free, by I have the additional privledge of paying for Registration to drive where I can drive for free anyway and I must have permission from the owner and police to drive in these unrestricted areas. Under Queensland law I cannot drive the Ferret on any sealed roads. I know their are guys driving Ferrets around Queensland, so how is this done. I registred a Saracen here about ten years ago, and no problem, I drove it on any public road I wanted. Im thinking, maybe I could register it in another state, if Ferrets can be registered there. Please, somone give me something I can do to get around this rediculous registration rules here in crazy queensland. The Queensland police are driving around in a Bearcat. Twice as big and twice as much armour. Why not a little ferret

Regards, OZITIM

Im looking at the 'Special interest vehicle' registration scheme. I am a member of a military vehicle club. Hopefully the Ferret isnt exempt from being registered under this scheme. The advice I got from over the phone from the Transport Department is that the useless registration is the only one I can apply for. Im thinking, if I go into a small country office, with a pile of paperwork attesting to the vehicles participation in a club and call the vehicle a Daimler 4x4 Mk1/2 and whistle a calm melody while the stamping officer processes the paperwork I could walk out with a number plate. 'Special interest vehicles' are permitted to drive on roads for maintenance, upkeep and club runs. Thats all I want.

Condition rego is designed for tow tugs at airports, forklifts at construction sites...etc

The advantage of conditional rego over no rego is if the vehicle on conditional rego and the vehicle runs over someones foot, they will get compensated by the third party personal insurance instead of sueing the owner of the vehicle for compensation .

What you are paying for with conditional rego is insurance for injury............but only if you are not negligent in any way with in reason.

Historic plates should be the way forward.

Every vehicle is judged on its merits regardless if there are any other vehicles of the same type running around the state or others.

Rego of a ferret is always a bit of a problem because of its limited vision and the wind up of the drive that is suppose to hurt hard roads.

What you must do is prove and put forward a case for safety.

No one in the government system is going to stick their necks out and give you permission to drive on roads unless they know their bums are covered and all boxes are crossed.

On historic rego you can have extra restrictions which is written on a document and carried with the vehicle.

If you fight with the departments involved or try to bypass or go over anyones head in the system, kiss your rego good by for that vehicle ever again.

For a ferret I would put forward, you would be willing to have extra restrictions placed on that vehicle to ensure safety.

1/ you would never operate the vehicle without a licensed co driver/ observer in the turret.( with intercom)

2/ never operate it at night time.

3/ never tow a trailer

4/ never operate it above 80 kph ??( for extra safety)

5/ fit removable extra safety lighting/ indicators/mirrors

6/never carry anymore than 2 persons including driver

7/ never carry cargo

8/If the wind up on hard roads is mentioned, offer to disconnect the drive shafts for hard road usage.

If you can see, offer a package which by passes any of the concerns about the vehicle, which covers the government bum and improves safety.

If you play with the system instead of fighting it you have a good chance of getting most of what you need.

Take note the first thing the people do in the rego departments do for a unusual vehicle is to Google it.

They will know much about the vehicle and its specs.

Ron

On my Stalwart for historic rego I had the issues the vehicle was slightly over width and central drivers position.

I found though my local army truck club the person in the rego system which handles old and odd vehicle historic regos.

A lot of people with the FV600 vehicles do not declare the over width which could get them in trouble if found out in a accident.

The case I placed forward was if the vehicle was transported to shows and displays it would be by low loader/semi trailer and the semi/trailer combination would be overwidth and fully legal to do so on public roads using normal marker and over width signs on the semi/ trailer combo with the unregisted stalwart.

All legal and nothing to stop me from doing this.

I put forward , say going around a round about the stalwart on the semi/trailer combination would have a great overthrow on the corners and tyre wear/scrub on the semi/trailer combination.

I pointed out the stalwarts wheel base is only 10 foot and it is twin steer front end and therefore the overthrow is less than a medium ridged truck going around the same corner.

I pointed out the 6 wheel disc brakes of dual circuit and the fact that some of the these vehicles had been running around in Australia at one time on commercial rego without incident.

I pointed out the use of the vehicle would be limited due to its low speed and high running costs.

I pointed out the mechanically connected recirculating ball steering( they don't like hydraulic only systems)

I pointed out I was willing to do what ever it takes to comply for public road use and suggested

1/ use of amber safety light

2/drive vehicle with co driver.

I found out the steering column and is off set 2 inches to the right and the vehicle is technically right hand drive.

All went well and I proved the vehicle was safe to operate on public roads......and the employees in the govt could tick all the boxes and help me without sticking their necks out.

What I ended up with was.

Carry no more than 7 people(all the seating the vehicle allows.)

Not to exceed 72 kph

Use normal oversize signs , markers and lighting as required for normal over width vehicles. ( amber rotary light too)

Normal restricted club plates usage...ie club runs only, maintance,not for passenger carrying or commercial use.

They were going to add no towing of trailers, but it never happened.

I offered more restrictions, but that's what they felt was enough.

I have to carry with the vehicle at all times the restrictions permit.

Remember each vehicle is special case, regardless what other vehicles are running around in the same or other states.

Edited by 101 Ron

One more point.

If you register a vehicle in NSW say on historic plates and then drive it in Queensland you can be fined with a unregisted vehicle and have to leave it on the side of the road.

It is a grey area and another law, freedom of trade between states, etc comes into play.

It has been done in the past and is easier to enforce if the vehicle has special restrictions which technically apply only to another state.

We are suppose to have a National rego and road law system now, but it is still not the case.

Jeeps and Dodges travelling interstate on Historic plates the coppers and scalies don't seem to worry about at all.

Travel in something unusual or large and the story could be different and a vehicle with restrictions is easy meat.

No Blue plates in NSW for vehicle modifications, but in Qld blue plate is needed is a good example .

OK, Im going to go into the Rego office on Monday and roll the dice. As you say, the first step they will do is google it and then advise me that I can only have Conditional Rego. I will then start to negotiate the restrictions with them. I appreciate your ideas, they all sound good. When I got the Saracen registered they were only concerned about it being oversize and required me to put an oversize sign on it. I will keep you advised of what the outcome is. I might mention though, the last time, I ended up getting an exclusive exemption from the Chief executive of the Dept of main roads. Hopefully I dont have to do that again.

Rego of a ferret is always a bit of a problem because of its limited vision and the wind up of the drive that is suppose to hurt hard roads.

I think you'll find the wind up hurts the vehicle much more than it hurts the roads..!!!

In South Australia, there are no restrictions on registering a Ferret that I'm aware of, and they fall under a standard Class C - remember, they're only ~3500kg and aren't LHD :)

Are you on Facebook Tim? I know a Ferret owner in QLD; he may be able to give you some more info:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4671802746/

Cheers,

Terry

Its frustrating that after four years of rebuilding, with the hope that one day I would drive it on the road, that I might not get that dream. ITs frustrating when you see highly modified Type A or model T fords with 454 Big block Chevs cruising happily around the street, capable of doing 250klm an hour down the road with bugger all saftety and thats entirely OK. Surely a Kenwork truck is going to do more damage to a road than a Ferret. What about those Giant 8 wheel cranes that cruise down the highway. Anyway, I will go into DOT tomorrow and see if I can get club rego. Failing that, I will see if I can get conditional rego, with the condition that I can drive on the road, only during the day, without a trailer, with an observer, with internal comms. Maybe throw in a flashing light or two. And not exceed 80klm. Surely that should suffice. I imagine I will have to put a written request to someone up the chain a bit and wait and see what happens. Failing that I will write a story to the State Minister for Roads stating how our school childrne will be deprived of the opportunity to see living examples of military history.

I think you're going about it wrong, Tim. Go in there demanding full rego; there is little to no reason that it can't have it. If they then scale it back to club rego, then accept that as an alternative.

There are plenty of constant 4WD vehicles on the road, so road wear is not their concern, and aside from slightly limited visibility (which was within the specification of the ADRs at the time of manufacture, and therefore the only rules that they need to abide by), the central driving position is the only thing that may cause some concern, but again, that was fine at the time.

Cheers,

Terry

Well gentlemen, I stand corrected. The Department of Transport are the most wonderful people in the the state of Queensland. Thanks Ken and thanks craig for your awesome advice. I went in there armed with the right knowledge and put on my best (non-creepy) smile. I stated that I had an interesting vehicle that I wanted to register. The counter staff remembered me from ten years ago when I caused all sorts of drama with the Saracen, and remembering that the Minister for Transport ended up making the final decision last time, they were nothing but helpful. I went with the Conditional rego option, which thanks to Ken informed me of the L03 option which has the special clause for military road vehicle. Basically I can drive it within 50 klm of my home on any road, except for a freeway. I truck it to an event at a location further than that distance, but can drive 50klm within the vicinity of that event. Basically that covers everywhere that I could possible think of driving. Im totally over the moon. I walked in, and an hour later I walked out with the number plates. They gave me a form to tick and flick the roadworthy, I signed a few declarations, they didnt even sight the vehicle and I paid for the insurance there and then. All done. Ive just finished driving it around the neighbourhood. fourth and fifth brake bands need adjusting and the wheels had flat spots in them from sitting for several years, but other than that, the motor ran like a dream. Its now an easy task to do some work on it and take it for a spin around the block. I will take some action video on the week end and post on here. I should now repost and say I love the Dept of Transport.

And yes terry, a positive attitude. Its something I am working on. Patients with people isnt my best hallmark. Getting no for an answer is generally something I struggle with. I got told by a colonel once that I was arrogant, I replied, you only think that because Im right and your wrong. hahah!

But yes, in this case, good to take a deferential attitude and seek their help, rather than taking the demanding approach. Im sure I would have got a differnt outcome if I went in there with arrogance.

Again, many thanks Gents. I need to think of how I can push the envelope next time, maybe a hovercraft! haha

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a pair of ferrets on Tuesday (Australia Day!) and got the running one registered today, without any dramas, in South Australia.

Cheers,

Terry

Wow, thats easy. Im not familiar with that concept. Generally, the way ive been doing it, is drag it from a paddock, four years later register it. Maybe I should look in other places, other than paddocks. haha.

Great to be driving around on the road though. Its always interesting though, when you pull up to do some checks, that same guy always turns up. The guy who tells me his uncle has one and that he has a bren gun pouch, but its mint condition. That he tried to join the army but was flat footed, and on and on the story goes. I find myself being rude to this guy every time. I try to be patient, but maybe its because Im so focused on every nut and bold and noise, that I just dont have any more mental space left to humor him and his mint Bren pouch. Does anyone else have this problem, or am I just a rude bugger.

I've not driven my Ferret on the road yet. I'm still waiting on the historic rego logbook (Tuesday) and have to sort a few more things on it, like ignition timing and refitting the battery hold down and air filter.

Cheers,

Terry.