What is a VERY original M38 worth?

Ivor Ramsden

I don't like "What's it worth" threads but I'm a bit stuck where to look to find an idea of value for this. It's a barn find 1950 M38, 24V, with hood, side screens, tools etc. It looks like it has never been repainted and it just needs the dust removing and checking over before being put into use. If it was a wartime Jeep or even a Series Land Rover I'd be in ecstasy and have no hesitation in buying it, but it's an M38 and I know absolutely nothing about them.

I don't like "What's it worth" threads but I'm a bit stuck where to look to find an idea of value for this. It's a barn find 1950 M38, 24V, with hood, side screens, tools etc. It looks like it has never been repainted and it just needs the dust removing and checking over before being put into use. If it was a wartime Jeep or even a Series Land Rover I'd be in ecstasy and have no hesitation in buying it, but it's an M38 and I know absolutely nothing about them.

You seem to be asking for confirmation that a MC should be knocked back on $ valuation because it is not WW2 era. IMHO a minta M38 should carry a premium for Korea era. also greater possibility of less probablity of MALT type bitsa. "Some" would claim a gen WW2 Jeep a better proposition than a Hotchkiss , self - give me a minta Hotchkiss for same ££ / condition.

I would say rate it at minta Hotchkiss or a bit more to secure..

You seem to be asking for confirmation that a MC should be knocked back on $ valuation because it is not WW2 era.

Nope, you're reading too much into my question. I was just asking for an idea of value because I haven't a clue what M38s are worth. Thanks for the comparison with a mint Hotchkiss, it's a great help.

Nope, you're reading too much into my question. I was just asking for an idea of value because I haven't a clue what M38s are worth. Thanks for the comparison with a mint Hotchkiss, it's a great help.

Then a guide of £10,000 starting - for a absolute minta , BUT must be worth that bit extra - go to a show and stroll the lines of MA MB types , you don't ever see a MC type , MC / M38 or M38/A1 in mint condition - that would be what it is all about IMHO , well worth the extra $ because it will be RARE

If it is as mint and original as you say it is then it has to sit somewhere between £5000 and £10000...

If it has a particular and peculiar history it could top the latter number, stranger things have happened at sea.

If it is mint unrestored I would say you would be looking at more like £15,000 or more these were

only made 1950 to 1952 a good running one would be in the region of £8,000 to £10,000

Commander

Because its not WW2 the amount possible buyers are lower.

Even though its better than a WW2 one, gearbox, 24 volts etc.

Thet are rarer than a WW2 but not as desired as a WW2 jeep. So I can't give a sensible figure although surely 10 grand should be a good guess.. as said it does have the rare factor and a recognisable WW2/postwar lineage/evolution.

A M38 was my first MV and loved it.

Edited by Enigma

Using a restored price to base an original is not a good metric... owners of restored jeeps want to recoup the money/time they put into it. and think that they have all done concourse level resto's).

Rare is not the same as valuable... as in just about any collectible, its originality then condition.

First, is it TRULY mint/original M38? You admit to not knowing much about M38s (neither do I, but valuation is the same across any item) so the owners story adds nothing to the value. Does it have the parts that make it truly original (in my opinion that means FACTORY parts, not post war/supply issued). Every detail counts. Does it have the factory tool roll? manuals? Were work orders done to remove original factory parts or upgrades that make it an A1? What about wear parts? Original or post war? Does it have the bill of sale when released from service or any other paperwork?

That said, in the USA M38A1 drivers go for $5-8000 USD. For it to be much more than that things have to be vetted to an absolute.

This M38 is asking $10,500 USD (http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/1951%20M38%20Willys%20Jeep%20with%20Artic%20Top.htm)

Using a restored price to base an original is not a good metric... owners of restored jeeps want to recoup the money/time they put into it. and think that they have all done concourse level resto's).

Rare is not the same as valuable... as in just about any collectible, its originality then condition.

First, is it TRULY mint/original M38? You admit to not knowing much about M38s (neither do I, but valuation is the same across any item) so the owners story adds nothing to the value. Does it have the parts that make it truly original (in my opinion that means FACTORY parts, not post war/supply issued). Every detail counts. Does it have the factory tool roll? manuals? Were work orders done to remove original factory parts or upgrades that make it an A1? What about wear parts? Original or post war? Does it have the bill of sale when released from service or any other paperwork?

That said, in the USA M38A1 drivers go for $5-8000 USD. For it to be much more than that things have to be vetted to an absolute.

This M38 is asking $10,500 USD (http://www.vintagemilitarytrucks.com/1951%20M38%20Willys%20Jeep%20with%20Artic%20Top.htm)

============

Hi

I am more or less in broad agreement , however I don't understand the Mercan Jeep market.

Can you tell me , would a concourse WW2 Ford Jeep be expected to have all parts with a Ford script ? original nomenclature plate ? What about vehicles that may have been returned to USA from such as France or New Zealand & have been through a "rebuild" , well let us say a reincarnation of some sort of Jeep from refurbished shelved parts , IMHO there is no way that these can have Mint status ever - OK to obtain at lesser valuation , drive and have fun with. Hence my first post when I stated , I would prefer a genuine all Hotchkiss in mint condition.

Can you please give a few $ typical prices for WW2 era Jeeps ?

What I look for in an MV's value is most likely no the same as others.

I could type for days and try to spell it all out.. but its my own secret recipe.. especially when its my money on the line.

A minty original X, Y or Z should look and have the same parts that it had when it came off the factory line. Properly marked and painted.

Anything else is just the seller trying to add value where it does not exist in my eyes.

"Can you tell me , would a concourse WW2 Ford Jeep be expected to have all parts with a Ford script ?" Yes, just like Mr. Ford made them, and to the the best your ability to document any reason why not. Could jeeps have been made without ford bolts? Yes. I'm sure at one point a few where made without the 'F's.. but exceptions are that. Exceptions.

"original nomenclature plate ?" Yes. Repro's are shiny, but not original. Original data plates are not very rare, my jeep had them but I also bought repo's to put on the dash.. I mounted the originals in a frame.

"What about vehicles that may have been returned to USA from such as France or New Zealand & have been through a "rebuild"" Then they are no longer mint or original. Again, the cut off line for me is the factory's assembly line door. If these vehicles had the factory parts (ie oil filter with original decals, not a generic black oil filter from supply, bolt heads, original seals etc etc ) they need them reinstalled. original parts trump reproduction and will suffer a value decrease.

I would put a driveable jeep between $5-15,000 USD depending on the engine and condition, all matching etc.

I have no problem taking a refurbished jeep and 'resetting it' back to factory.. I don't care if the jeeps have the exact parts it left the factory with... but it has to have identical ones.

Edited by deadline

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of the first questions you have to ask about an M38 to determine its value is does it have an original winch mounted.

If it does then you can automatically add 4 to 5 thousand us dolars to the price.

Normally a Non-winch decent (not rotted), runner and driver with all the original fittings goes for about $10K to $15K dollars. Here in Canada. Canada's Military only had about 2000 of the M38 so these ones are rare. The US had quite a few more though they never produced so many like the WW2 jeeps.

They are more roomy to drive than the WW2 but not as fast. Ive had one for almost 20 years and it has not once failed to start and run and drive and has got me home every time.

:-D

SANY0063.jpg

--------------

Did you buy it , any pics ?