The Megatherium war horse

andypugh

Apparently the Megatherium was a prehistoric giant , elephant sized, sloth. Wonder if the original namer was thinking of Hyraxatherium, the first horse?

To stray off the subject of vehicles completely, I suspect that Megatherium might have been in general use for "Huge" at the time. According to the Wikipedia article it was the largest animal known to have lived until the discovery of the dinosaurs.

This Google Ngram shows the history of the popularity of the word.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=megatherium&year_start=1780&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=&direct_url=t1%3B%2Cmegatherium%3B%2Cc0

The Crimean war was 1853-56. Megatherium was discovered in 1788, and at the time of the Crimean war the only dinosaurs known (again, according to Wikipedia) were relatively small. Well, if you can call an Iguanodon small...

"Jumbo" appeared in London some time around 1880, s that word wasn't available. They might have called it the "Mammoth War Horse" (I think that mammoth had been known about since antiquity) but perhaps that didn't have the same ring.

Hyracotherium was relatively tiny, and (as far as I can see) wasn't linked to the horses until the discovery of Eohippus in 1876.

Edited by andypugh

The movement by some members towards such a branch of thought on this forum topic clearly shows the wide range of backgrounds and knowledge out there.

We are not stuck in little boxes but prepared to view what is about us and comment on these side issues. That is what I find makes this forum interesting and informative.

On this topic it has become the origin of the terminology. Informative.

Now aside from the Big Lizzie wheels, are there other examples remaining on large items of machinery? Wasn't the same form of track laying wheel used for the 1908 War Dept trials. I seem to recall seeing some photos of the type being used on a beach for the trials.

Doug