Jeep speedometer

Degsy

What would be the value of an NOS unboxed Jeep speedo? I have been approached by a guy who found one some years ago on a shelf during demolition of part of a building that had been used for assembling Jeeps during the war. I have not seen the item as yet but suspect from what he has told me that it could be manufactured by Waltham. Thanks in advance for any help.

It really does depend on the type and manufacturer, it could range from a truly eye watering sum for a pre January 42 slat grill MB down to £50 to £80 for a standard 0 to 60 mph counter balance model as Nick has said pictures would help to give a better estimate.

Pete

Have been to see the speedo in question, it is definitely a Waltham counter balanced and is showing just 8 miles on the odometer. It is missing the clamp and nuts and appears to be seized, is it worth buying and what would be a fair price.

I am not trying to profit by this and I have no use for it myself but just want to see it go to someone who needs it.

It's difficult to be honest Degsy, if it's seized it may be as simple as a few drops of light oil on the rear drive bush or it may have eaten itself internally or the worm drives for the mileage drums may have jammed, depending on the damage it may be only good for spares. In the first case £50 to £80 seems to be the going price for a standard counterbalance needle model in fair condition. In the second case £25 for spares. The clever people buy a repro unit which are pretty good then find a old face and needle in good condition and change them over :-X

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks for your help on this, with only 8 miles recorded on the unit and in view of where it was found I suspect it may have failed just after fitment and was replaced before the jeep was issued to a unit and that would account for it being left on the back of a shelf. The owner has said he will keep it if it only has a low value but I will speak to him again and try to persuade him otherwise. Thanks again.