Paint problems.

k2timbo

Hi folks, I have taken the engine out of my K2 ambulance and have taken the opportunity to restore and refurbish the front end. (It seemed a good idea at the time!) I have decided to give the old girl a lick of paint at the same time and tried some paint from Paints Are Us. Now while I like the colour it is coming out more of a satin finish irrespective of how much I stir it. Also I find the paint not only skins over the top but around the inside and bottom of the tub. I put this down to it being in a plastic tub. Anybody else having the same problems and does anyone have a recommendation for another supplier. WP_000184.jpg

Edited by k2timbo
Add photo

You don't say if you're spraying or brush painting and if you're using a BS381c colour. I tend to spray, and I've used paint from the BS381c standard palette (298 and 499) from Finishline in Donny and Autosupplies at Bolsover in the past. At the mo I prefer Autosupplies for a topcoat. I ask them for a very matt finish, although in reality it does come out with a slight sheen -which is a good balance between originality and durability. I'm sure most suppliers can match to a sample - although it can be a frustrating process at times.

So much depends on factors such as temperature, the amount and type of thinners, whether you cover, let it part-dry and then mist on a further light coat etc etc

Edited by simon king

I think you might get a flatter matt finish by spraying the paint rather than by brushing it.

I've used French chalk or even talcum powder to matt down shiny paint. The more you add, the more matt the finish and it doesn't seem to affect the colour. I don't know if it affects the durability of the paint so if you try it and it buggers up your Katy please don't come chasing me!

The problem is fundamental to your requirements , what you needed was "full lusterless" . And yet what you purchased was MATT.

So you paid £in the range £22.75 for a 750Mls tin - £ £66.85 for a 5L tin (free of shipping costs).

------------

Local lowest rate for a 1 litre tin of AUTOMOTIVE PAINT would be abt. £18 - £20 + VAT.

Now when I have talked to "paint mixers" in the past , I have asked the direct question , what is the maximum MATTING BASE you can use , rule of thumb = 50% because the other 50% is taken up by binders, colour pigment resins .

2nd query, On the scale of MATT - how will this appear brushed or sprayed , Answer = approx. Satin - no flatter..

3 rd. query - why , answer - shown the MATTING BASE , a whitish/clear but cloudy varnish , OH !

4 th. query , so If I did not require SATIN to MATT , you obviously would not be adding MATTING BASE , then what would you be using.

Reply - shown the clear varnish resin ..

Edited by ruxy
spelin