WW1 Dennis truck find

Great War truck

Adrian, Ben and Phil.

Thank you very much for your very kind offers. 1/2" downwards seems to be obtainable if one looks hard enough. It is the very large (by our standards anyway!) sizes which are so difficult. I must admit that I hadn't thought of India but the trouble is, I don't want to buy 1000 of the things!

Silencer nuts must be very prone to coming loose because they are in a vibrating environment, go through thermal cycles and can't be done up very tight without crushing the casing! I think we will have to assess ours very carefully when it is finally assembled. I have seen them with lock nuts on both ends which might be a solution. Cross that bridge when we get there!

Steve :thumbsup:

Tony, do you have a tool post grinder attachment to give a good surface finish to pins like these? Will Steve have the pins to make sure that they are a 'good fit' in the blocks or can you rely on dimensional accuracy alone?

Barry.

No, I don't have anything as sophisiticated as that, Barry! The pins are 7/8" Silver Steel and I think that the Silver Steel has already been ground to a fine finish by the manufacturer as it is spot-on 7/8" in diameter and has a very good finished surface. My own thoughts about this were that we final-finish the Bronze Blocks with a 7/8" Reamer when the holes in them for the pins are opened out and that would probably be quite adequate. Steve might want to comment on this as well when he picks it up.

When I pick up the blocks for final machining, I will take the pins as well, and bore the blocks to fit. I don't think my lathe could cope with a 7/8" reamer in bronze!

I am actually more concerned about the fit in the ends of the prop shaft as we have now placed the order for that as well. I hope that the pins will be a firm push fit with no rattle. We could cope with 0.001" clearance by using Loctite but if there is much rattle, we might have a problem. Fingers are crossed!

Steve

The Water Pump Cover has now been machined and is virtually completed. The holes around the flange have to be opened up and there are three others to go in. It has been a straight forward exercise and the sequence of photographs tell the tale. The only disappointing factor is that we have come across some porosity in the casting on the inside - it seems quite sound on the outside. Provided that there is no leakage through this, then it can be ignored as it will not harm - there is plenty of metal there. Possibly these small imperfections could be sealed with an Epoxy Resin - or even soft solder - but no final decision has been made on this.

DSCN11605.jpg

DSCN11609.jpg

DSCN11610.jpg

DSCN11615.jpg

DSCN11620.jpg

DSCN11625.jpg

DSCN11626.jpg

DSCN11627.jpg

DSCN11629.jpg

DSCN11630.jpg

That looks more like inclusions, displaced sand or slag, than porosity. Should be no big deal for the duty that casting will be in.

We used to use CASTINGITE to pressure impregnate / seal castings like these, but there's no way that will need it. A coat of epoxy internally maybe?

Whilst Dad has been busy with the pump cover, Steve has been pattern making again to replace the incorrect one found over Christmas. It proved to be quite straightforward and just a variation on a theme really. Hopefully, this one will point at the radiator outlet this time!

DSCN1871.jpg

DSCN1872.jpg

DSCN1873.jpg

... will the moulder be able to use the new pattern without any technical stuff, as with your original effort?

Looks to me that the new version should draw straight in a conventional two-part mould?

Gordon

Hi Gordon.

Yes, hopefully, it will be a straightforward draw. I have made a couple of compromises to allow this though. The 'lump' around the flange bolt hole hidden behind the elbow has extra material running tangential to it and perpendicular to the split line so there is no re-entrant shape which would drag through the sand. I have also added an extra bit to the small flange as well. Hang on a minute, I will take some pics. Worth a thousand words as they say!

Steve

DSCN1876c.JPG

DSCN1875c.JPG

Yes, absolutely.

I'd think this was the original configuration, able to be made much more easily, and the one you originally copied came later for some special purpose.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M

Part of the 'subvention' scheme requirements were that the radiator be mounted entirely above the chassis which is where ours is. However, the pump we copied came from a lorry that was just post war and the radiator would very likely have been mounted much lower with the starting handle through it. Therefore the elbow I originally copied pointed much more downwards. Obvious now!

Steve

The Water Pump Impeller casting has now been machined. Again, it was a very straight forward exercise and the series of photos speak for themselves and show the process. There were some inclusions in the casting, but they have mainly machined out this time.

A keyway has yet to be cut, but Steve has a slotting attachment on his lathe and will do this later.

DSCN11637.jpg

DSCN11638.jpg

DSCN11639.jpg

DSCN11641.jpg

DSCN11642.jpg

Tells us about your plans for balancing the impellor and the shaft then.

I'd reckon you would put the shaft and impellor together, and then just do a static balance, as I think it is unlikely that a WW1 engine will rev fast enough to need a dynamic balance?

Did you leave any spare meat on the impellor to allow truing up when on the shaft or happy just go with the lathe accuracy?

Gordon

I must admit that I hadn't thought of balancing at all! It runs at camshaft speed, say 500rpm peaking at 750 so I am not really too concerned. However, I will roll it across the surface plate and see how it looks. If it is drastically out, I shall have to attack it with a file!

Steve

I've spoted a problem , once these parts are fitted you will not be able to see them again , great work , balancing would not think at that speed it would be of to much concern unless out quite a bit ,

if you had a lightwieght lathe that could spin just about a thousand RPM it might give a clue how much out it is , also like you say if you roll it across the surface plate sevral times and put a dab of paint on at BDC it would give a bit of an idea

Something which has just crossed my mind is the size of this water pump. On the later developments of this engine and indeed on the larger 60HP White and Poppe engine the water pump is so much smaller (See picture below). Can anyone offer any explanation?

Barry.

water pump.jpg

Edited by Asciidv
On reflection the answer to the question may be rather obvious......

You are quite right Barry. This pump is enormous compared with later pumps. I wonder whether it was just a rough estimate as to how big it should be and they made them smaller as experience showed what they needed. I have seen it written that the subsidy engine didn't need a pump at all and would survive quite happily relying only on a thermo-syphon. Mind you, at what speed does yours run? Is it camshaft speed or crank speed? Doubling the rotational speed would allow you to reduce the diameter by a half and still maintain the tip speed.

Steve

. I have seen it written that the subsidy engine didn't need a pump at all and would survive quite happily relying only on a thermo-syphon.

Would not have thought there would be many latter vehicles that would use this means of cooling system but the Munga does ,