scammell pioneer vehicle markings

Neilik15

Its been a good sunny day here in kent today so i decided to do some work on my scammell.

I took the Kids with me down the yard to give them a bit of fresh air and a ball to keep them occupied.

I had been replacing some of the wood on the boxes at the back when i herd an almighty bang as the ball the kids were kicking bashed the nearside door. after shouting some demanding words at them like, clear off! i got down and had a look to see if it had damaged any thing and noticed a small bit of blue paint and a black line showing on the door. the ball had chipped off a bit of paint on the door so i got out a plastic scraper and continued to chip off the old hard paint to reveal this.

photo.jpg

Has any one got any ideas on what it is?

it uncovered a bit more of its history which i probably would not of found,

My apologies Kids!!

The annoying thing is that I have the exact same badge. It came in a box which my father in law kept when he wound up his antiques business. I have never been able to find out what it is. Apologies for it being sideways. Have no idea how to rotate the picture. The badge is brass, and has two bendable pins on the back.

image.jpg

What I find interesting is that whilst the lightning flash spacing on the door badge is similar to the one on the belgian badges, it seems that the lightning bolts pass UNDER the wheel on the right hand side, which is similar to the british badge shown in Wally's scan.

Maybe a scan of the badge alone from Wally might shed more light. I must confess that without knowing the history of this particular vehicle, I can only surmise.

I love these mysteries!

The text reads[ what appears to be a british collar dog is in fact Belgian Take care ] so SEAN IS CORRECT the book it is from is BADGES OF THE BRITISH ARMY 1820 TO THE PRESENT by F WILKINSON the sign may have been painted by one of its

former owners so may not be 100 percent accurate

Just to go over the history of my scammell that I know.

I brought it back from Belgium to the uk last year 2014. it came over with the reg number DEA768 on the vehicle and on its Belgium log book and chassis number 5343 which is present on the vehicle. From what I have been told by DVLA and others on here DEA768 was issued as a civilian reg number in West Bromwich uk 1948. So presumably after the war it came back home and was sold in to civvy street. The Belgium reg document it came over with states, ( registered 1984 Belgium ). I think this is when it last hanged hands before me.

The years in between are un known to me at the present time.

Neil

What I find interesting is that whilst the lightning flash spacing on the door badge is similar to the one on the belgian badges, it seems that the lightning bolts pass UNDER the wheel on the right hand side, which is similar to the british badge shown in Wally's scan.

Maybe a scan of the badge alone from Wally might shed more light. I must confess that without knowing the history of this particular vehicle, I can only surmise.

I love these mysteries!

• 3 weeks later...
Just to go over the history of my scammell that I know.

I brought it back from Belgium to the uk last year 2014. it came over with the reg number DEA768 on the vehicle and on its Belgium log book and chassis number 5343 which is present on the vehicle. From what I have been told by DVLA and others on here DEA768 was issued as a civilian reg number in West Bromwich uk 1948. So presumably after the war it came back home and was sold in to civvy street. The Belgium reg document it came over with states, ( registered 1984 Belgium ). I think this is when it last hanged hands before me.

The years in between are un known to me at the present time.

Neil

While this is a rather late response, the clue of the origin of the badge may lie in the base colour. That base colour is Khaki Green No.3 which came into use in mid 1939 and was phased out during 1941 into '42. The badge was therefore applied during that period and subsequently over painted several times if the cracked off layers of paint are any guide. It would be helpful to know when the Scammell was built and the contract number for the run. Any idea of the WD serial?

From what NEIL says about the SCAMMELLs history first it was sold before the use of the pre war 1949 numbering

system the fact that the BELGIAN army sign is on top of what has been called the khaki green number three should

not come as a surprise as it spent time in BELGIUM I would speculate that it was put on there by a former owner

while in BELGIUM From what information l have found this corp was formed in February 1945

Thanks for your efforts on this.

the log book states built 1943 and going from the info I've received on here according to its chassis number its contract number S3164 Military number H 5545293.

Neil.

While this is a rather late response, the clue of the origin of the badge may lie in the base colour. That base colour is Khaki Green No.3 which came into use in mid 1939 and was phased out during 1941 into '42. The badge was therefore applied during that period and subsequently over painted several times if the cracked off layers of paint are any guide. It would be helpful to know when the Scammell was built and the contract number for the run. Any idea of the WD serial?