Antar rebuild progress 2

• 2 weeks later...
Dear All,

And this is where I am now!

John[ATTACH=CONFIG]100028[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100027[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]100026[/ATTACH]

This is a view I have not seen since the 70s. Rebuilding some Mk 2s and 3s with collision damage. Brave.

Dear All,

Every single nut and bolt has been stripped and re-plated. I then repaired any damage incurred in the strip down process. Doing this is really paying dividends now because it all bolts together so easily. Some of the bolts are 'special' eg the ones securing the drawbar. I can read the part number on them and ensure that they go in the right place.

It is proving a little difficult to remove the olives from the air pipes, esp if they are on copper rather than brass tube. However, it is essential to get the tube nuts off for re-plating. All the air brake tube nuts are the very fine thread ones and if they are not re-plated it is hard to tell if they are cross threaded and is generally very unsatisfactory. When the stud and nut is re-plated it is easy. I will try a plumbers' 15 mm tool. Any tips welcome as I have 200 to remove.

As I said before all the air pipes are numbered using the same number as the parts list.

John

This is a view I have not seen since the 70s. Rebuilding some Mk 2s and 3s with collision damage. Brave.

Now that is going to be brilliant when its done. Talking of Mk3 re-builds here's one that I think went into Fazakerley. Do you recognise this one FEC.

Mk3 into FEC.jpg

Dear John,

I feel a bit awkward as ANTAR pointed out that you are in actual fact a Lord, and yes I did look you up.

I take my cue from you, that you sign off at John and nothing else, so I am taking it that in these circles that is how you wish to be addressed. If I am wrong and have offended then I apologise ahead of time.

Otherwise I will let that one rest.

Thanks for the explanation of what your methodology is, makes perfect sense. What a wonderful overhaul it will be once finished.

I guess by now you know the vehicle so well that you almost feel you can do it in your sleep?

Kind regards

Robin

Now that is going to be brilliant when its done. Talking of Mk3 re-builds here's one that I think went into Fazakerley. Do you recognise this one FEC.

I can still feel the sun burn from the amount of heat used to haul the chassis in to shape again. Ironic that this vehicle still has the FEC contract number in the passenger side vent (636).

I recall doing the chassis alignment test, (drop test) with a group from our panel shop looking on. Thinking, if I reject it, I may have a few curves straitened.

Always in awe of our panel shop, they will have re-manufactured 90% of the damage seen in the photo. One I recall came to us flattened down to the winch drum, but went back looking new.

Did get into trouble with the panel bashes once for rejecting, "obvious witness marks in repaired area". That was my brief, "minimise evidence of repair".

Dear John,

I feel a bit awkward as ANTAR pointed out that you are in actual fact a Lord, and yes I did look you up.

I take my cue from you, that you sign off at John and nothing else, so I am taking it that in these circles that is how you wish to be addressed. If I am wrong and have offended then I apologise ahead of time.l

Otherwise I will let that one rest.

Thanks for the explanation of what your methodology is, makes perfect sense. What a wonderful overhaul it will be once finished.

I guess by now you know the vehicle so well that you almost feel you can do it in your sleep?

Kind regards

Robin

Robin and John it was not my intention to embarrass either of you regarding the title just an opportunity to get in a joke. John I know you do a fine job in the House of Lords promoting our vehicle preservation movement whenever possible. My boss (I work for JCB) is also a Lord who has an interest in vehicle preservation and promoting British Industry.

Wowser, now that is bent! I would not like to see the state of what it hit!

Regarding your olive problem, I have for years always had success removing most by gently tapping the olive with a lite hammer round and round, place the olive to be removed on some thick plate and gently tap the olive all the way around its outer circumference and you will feel it gradually come loose, a bit of practice and you will get the feel for it and have most off quite quickly, hope this helps, Tim.