The Scorpion has arrived

Rick007

The Scorpion I purchased arrived in Redding California on Thursday last week. I drove over with our equipment trailer to pickup.After getting it home we unloaded it the next day. It runs great. The only thing I have a concern about is putting it in forward and reverse. It wants to grind. It idles at 800 rpm. I am uncomfortable with grinding noises so I turn it off and restart after selecting F or R. This will eventually prematurely wear out the starter. Any suggestions. I'm going to try and post a photo.[ATTACH=CONFIG]95327[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]95328[/ATTACH] Well the photos posted. I will take that as a small victory It is very complete and not any rust. All the optics are present and work except the day vision site. It must have a electronically operated shutter. Ive ordered all the books I can on the Scorpion. The books will hopefully tell me what all the CES items I have and hoe to operate the systems. Its first appearance is at a veterans fundraiser this coming Thursday.

The Scorpion I purchased arrived in Redding California on Thursday last week. I drove over with our equipment trailer to pickup.After getting it home we unloaded it the next day. It runs great. The only thing I have a concern about is putting it in forward and reverse. It wants to grind. It idles at 800 rpm. I am uncomfortable with grinding noises so I turn it off and restart after selecting F or R. This will eventually prematurely wear out the starter. Any suggestions. I'm going to try and post a photo. Well the photos posted. I will take that as a small victory It is very complete and not any rust. All the optics are present and work except the day vision site. It must have a electronically operated shutter. Ive ordered all the books I can on the Scorpion. The books will hopefully tell me what all the CES items I have and hoe to operate the systems. Its first appearance is at a veterans fundraiser this coming Thursday.

Make sure the Forward/Reverse control is lubricated and free to move. When you shift from one to the other, do it in one swift movement, do not hesitate. They will go in then, exactly the same with Ferret, Saracen, etc. If it grinds, you have not changed quick enough.

The only thing I have a concern about is putting it in forward and reverse. It wants to grind. It idles at 800 rpm. I am uncomfortable with grinding noises so I turn it off and restart after selecting F or R. This will eventually prematurely wear out the starter. Any suggestions.

As it has a centrifugal clutch the starter is not trying to turn the gearbox unless the clutch has a problem. Are you trying to start with the forward/reverse in neutral ? That is a big no no with almost any vehicle with a crash type F to R change (rather than friction clutches for each direction). You must always start with it in either F or R and then when you need to change direction, stop the vehicle completely, drop the revs to idle and very smartly move the F/R lever across all the way in one move. Anything else produces the grinding noises as you demonstrated and destroys the F/R dog clutches.

Sorry to be blunt :-D

David

Edited by David Herbert

Thanks for the input. I will lower idle to 750. I have started it in F or R each time because of grinding. What I didn't know is that you have to smartly move shifter. I was shifting from F to R too slowly. I will try it again today Thanks Rick

If the next move is to be in the opposite direction and you are switching off the motor to park up, move the shifter as you switch off the engine. That way it reduces crunching the gears but aids positive engagements as the gears are still spinning. Similarly if the opposite direction is required and the vehicle is off, change the direction while starting the motor.

Update. Today we lowered the idle to 750. Wow what a difference. The F/R selector goes in and out with no grinding or noise whatsoever. The brake pedal takes a bit of getting used to after driving the Abbot. Nearly took out the wife's car. Thank you all for your replies. You guys are spot on:-D. Now its only normal noises.not including the voices I hear :wow: