Just wondering

I've also only ever heard of the one at Brompton. There was one in the old barracks at Maidstone. It never went anywhere but was regularly fuelled up.

As the only petrol engined C vehicle on the plant park it was, allegedly, very useful for skint sappers on a Friday afternoon with a long drive home ahead of them....

Does anyone know how many LMD Light Mobile Diggers are around?

4x4 Thorneycroft Nubian chassis with a coal board digging head mounted on the back.

I think that there is one in Chatham.

There is no such vehicle!

The vehicle manufacturer has no e in the name. Thornycroft Nubians do exist.

There is at least one on the strength of the RE Museum at Brompton, it was on display out the front, but I think it has now been moved to the dockyard with the rest of the plant display.

There was a second one in storage at the Lodge Hill Camp back in the late 90's but I've no idea where that is now

My comment refers to the mis-spelling as it the e is often added through a spellcheck. There are a number of books recently published with the wrong spelling of this manufacturer.

As for the Nubian model with the coal head, how did this operate?

Do you have any photos of the rear of the machine.

Doug

Doug

They were meant to be used for digging trenches. The rear end lowered to the ground and the coal head did its bit as the machine slowly moved forward.

7596.jpg

7595.jpg

Edited by onthecorner

I have done extensive repairs on a number of these machines while they were in service and always thought them to be a fascinating piece of equipment. There were some obvious weak points in the design that gave recurring problems but that said if used properly they could produce a very tidy trench or pit. Although they were based on Thornycroft Nubian running gear I recollect many of the base vehicles were produced by Scammell while the actual machine was a product of ROF Nottingham. It used coal face digging technology as I recall.

My comment refers to the mis-spelling as it the e is often added through a spellcheck. There are a number of books recently published with the wrong spelling of this manufacturer.

Do you have any photos of the rear of the machine.

Doug

Apologies if any offence.

I used to operate these beasts for about a year near Tidworth.

Temperamental - Yes. Especially when changing from Air drive to normal. Could take longer to disengage than it took to dig the hole.

Thirsty - Very 15 gallon an hour of petrol at working revs.

Uncomfortable - Yes especially if there were 2 of you and no other vehicle.

Any hates about the machine? - Yes Changing the digging head teeth.

Try and Cam one up - Very difficult with the net catching everywhere and then the net starts melting around the exhaust.

Can you hide it at night? - Not if its working with a 10ft flame out of the exhaust.

Why do I like them? - I'm weird I was a Plant op. It is a thing that people look twice at and say what the hell is that thing?

What will it dig through - On the training area on the course we thought progress was a bit slower than it should have been. Checked the hole and we were halfway through a cased pipe about 2ft thick in concrete and with a steel pipe liner. Salisbury Plain chalk caused no problems getting into position did though at times.

Would I have one - YES if someone else forked out for the fuel bill.

Edited by ploughman

Why do I like them? - I'm weird I was a Plant op. It is a thing that people look twice at and say what the hell is that thing?

Would I have one - YES if someone else forked out for the fuel bill.

I am with you ........ having spent a lot of time working on the weird and wonderful plant that the army had, far more challenging to repair than a lorry or CVR(T). Probably the No.1 on my short list of postwar vehicles to own. ..... just need the fuel and a bit of land to desecrate with it.

I purchased two of these for about £350 + VAT, each in the mid 1990's from an airfield near Stroud. Had a play with one of them in some water logged ground WHAT A MESS. A little while later I had a visit from a chap who was the designer of the main digging head arms, the first and only time I have met a designer of something that is in my custardy.

Bob, I was just about to say a lot of these came out through the sales at Aston Down in the early to mid '90s, and all around that price; likely we were at the same sales. I came close to buying a couple as I thought they were fascinating, but couldn't see what I'd do with them apart from end up breaking them up, so I didn't.