At times I have got to the point where the batteries are getting a low charge and would rather avoid having to drag the batteris out to charge them, and was wondering if I could fit a Intervehicle starter box on my FFR Landrover and use that to boost the batteries on the Centurion or Sabre. I would gues the Sabre should not be a problem but not so sure about the Centurion with it being a much bigger draw on start up. Any informed suggestion? Also does anyone have a spare intervchicle starter box they dont want?

If the Landrover is a 24V one I would have thought it was a very good idea. A Cent engine can certainly be started from a couple of decent car batteries as long as it does not have any problems, so a running Landrover should do the job very well, particularly if you leave it connected for a few minutes before going for a start.

In the electrics section there are a couple of threads where people have been very keen on 'pulse' type electronic chargers. One of the problems with owning any type of classic vehicle, and especially armour, is that the batteries don't get used enough and sulphate up. A conventional charger which is basicaly a transformer can't do anything about this but pulse chargers make great claims of recovering sulphated batteries. As I have too many big batteries to watch them die from lack of use, I recently invested in an Optimate 6 (see Ebay!). This is the price of a decent size battery but it has already recovered two that I thought were dead and can be left trickle charging indefinately. I intend to connect it to every battery that I have for three days at a time in turns to try to keep them healthy, particularly through the winter. Of course it can't help a battery that has been frozen or otherwise damaged but if it can stop the sulphating that is a huge benefit.

David

Using a Landrover is something we used to do alot if circumstances meant that was all we had available. Leaving the Landrover running at approx 1000 rpm while the jump leads are connected will effectively send a trickle charge to the Cent or any vehicle attached to the other end. Even if there is not enough power in the landrover to start the cent straight away, giving it 10 to 15 mins should be more than enough for the job. However no reason there should not be enoght to start a cent as long as there are no ohter faults.

You could always hand crank the aux gen on the cent ;)

I found we could start the aux gen with pretty low batteries. Leave the aux gen to charge the batteries and warm up the meteor and life is a lot easier.

Landrover should have no problem turning the aux gen - tiny lump.

You could always hand crank the aux gen on the cent ;)

I found we could start the aux gen with pretty low batteries. Leave the aux gen to charge the batteries and warm up the meteor and life is a lot easier.

Landrover should have no problem turning the aux gen - tiny lump.

Sorry to say the Cent BARV's don't have a Aux engine. I know they did at some point have a single cylinder BSA engine in the engine bay as per the parts book but I think this was as a back up charger for the batteries but don't have one though would like to get one to mount up.

In that case I wouldn't like to try and jump start the meteor off a land rover. Hearing how much load the aux gen was put under trying on our AVRE not too sure it'd do the landy any good. You could use the landy to charge up the batteries I guess.