Is this a wind up?

MiketheBike

Question

I think I am experiencing transmission wind-up, and would like your opnions and advice.

After about 20 miles thru the lanes and A roads, my Ferret feel almost like its pulling back under power...like the engine is really struggling....would you say that is wind-up?

I checked the tyre diameters as suggested in another post, and they are pretty close (within an inch of each other as far as I can make out).

I know you can relieve this by driving up and down kerbs...alledgedly....but do I need to get a wheel off the ground to relieve it? So the question is...how fast do I drive off a kerb, and how high should that kerb be?

Could I just use a bottle jack to quickly lift one wheel on each side, or do I need to get each wheel off the ground in turn?

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

You shouldn't be experiencing wind up at 20 miles, I've driven hundreds of miles in one go mine and only been off road once or twice to relieve the wind up. Driving on grass or gravel will do the same as driving off a kerb, you don't need to lift the wheel up you just need to give it a soft surface to slip on.

When I restored mine I painted parallel white lines on the hubs so that I could quickly see if I had any problems with them. Paint or chalk some white lines on yours, they need to be pretty accurate, and then take it for a drive. When you get back if they're not perfectly parallel, jack up one side and see if they go back. I think you'll find they're ok though.

Have you checked the oil level in the fluid flywheel? If you've topped it up, did you use the correct oil?

Chris

Hi Steve,

as far as I understand, its when you have 4 wheel drive (or 6 wheel in the case of saracens etc) and the transmssion winds up because the drives are effectively locked together without a diff (thats maybe where I am wrong). If you have a slight difference in wheel size, one wheel travels further than another, and binds up the transmission...so one tyre will start scrubbing.

Mick

Have you checked the oil level in the fluid flywheel? If you've topped it up, did you use the correct oil?

If the engine was struggling, then it is doubtful that low oil in the flywheel is the cause, it would behave like "clutch slip", ie lots of revs and no go if that were the case.

I assume it is the same in all gears? If so, check that you do not have a sticking wheel cylinder, thats my first thought.

Richard,

yes, its the same in all gears, but most notable when the revs are high, if I have low revs the engine does not appear to struggle....which makes some sense I guess as I should not have the revs low anyway as the fluid flywheel is not working efficiently at low revs? I am guessing I should be keeping the revs high all the time to avoid cooking the fluid?

Mick

yes, its the same in all gears, but most notable when the revs are high, if I have low revs the engine does not appear to struggle....which makes some sense I guess as I should not have the revs low anyway as the fluid flywheel is not working efficiently at low revs? I am guessing I should be keeping the revs high all the time to avoid cooking the fluid?

Mick,

I think it is important for you to check the flywheel oil first, to eliminate this.

Hi Mick,

When we were in service, we were told to drive it fast...ish!! over sleeping policemen when we got it back from services, this was to free up the suspention and also to sort out the wind-up issue! Worth a try? :goodidea:

Also, if you can make it to W&P show before buying the oil!! It comes in very big quantities and you onle need a little, I have one such very large drum!! Will bring some to the show if you like? :tup:

All the Best Mate

Fred :banana:

ahem......

A little tip (and I am sure you omitted this by mistake, or did not allow for idiocy)....when driving "fast-ish over sleeping policeman", check the severity of said sleeping policeman beforehand, and lean back away from the hatch if you don't want a rather fetching groove in the top of your head!!! :redfaced:

Anyhow, need to get a 1 inch socket to check out the flywheel fluid level. Unity Motors up the road here seems to do everything or can order it in, so will order up some ISO10 if needed, but thanks for the offer Fred.

Mick

Anyhow, need to get a 1 inch socket to check out the flywheel fluid level. Unity Motors up the road here seems to do everything or can order it in, so will order up some ISO10 if needed, but thanks for the offer Fred.

Mick

What you need to get is a Ferret Fluid Flywheel tool...

Mick,

Careful with a 1 inch socket! If you drop the plug down inside the bell housing you'll have to take the engine or box out to get it back. Much safer to use the original tool, which screws in to the plug.

Try ebay, Green Machine Surplus or Marcus Glenn for one.

Chris

Ferret gearbox uses OMD75 or OMD80, depending on when you were in service, it is the fluid flywheel that uses OM13

You spotted my deliberate mistake, Pike. I was indeed thinking of the fluid flywheel.

(Hangs head in shame.)

ahem......

A little tip (and I am sure you omitted this by mistake, or did not allow for idiocy)....when driving "fast-ish over sleeping policeman", check the severity of said sleeping policeman beforehand, and lean back away from the hatch if you don't want a rather fetching groove in the top of your head!!! :redfaced:Mick

Pull up a sandbag. Stop me if you've heard this one.

I was newly-arrived in Omagh at the tail-end of 15/19H's 18-month tour 74-76. All the drivers-by-trade were away conversion training from Chieftain to Scorpion ready for our imminent move to Tidworth. Being older than the average recruit, I was in possession of a full driving licence for Groups (pardon the mistakes: it was a long time ago and the groups have changed over time) AR, BR, C, E, F, G, JR, KR and L (sounds about right). Group A was your standard car licence (the R meant that I was restricted by age for any vehicle otherwise covered by Group A but where the vehicle specifically required I be over 21 - unless in a military vehicle on military duty). B was ditto for a vehicle with an automatic gearbox.

As a newly-qualified Crewman Gunner CVR(T) Class 2, I was a fully trained radio operator and quickly found myself rubber-dicked* into manning the radio on VCPs - which was probably better than standing in the rain searching Irishmen and their cars.

Then the section found ourselves short of a Landrover driver, so I got rubber-dicked into driving a Landrover on patrol. Again it turned out to be more fun than sitting in the back, SLR hanging out the door (but maybe not as warry), though a Makrolon-armoured Landrover with a half section of men in the back was a very heavy drive and the steering was unbelievably light. But I didn't kill anybody.

Then, having rapidly gained recognition in the troop as better-qualified than the average cherry-boy** I got to fill an empty Ferret driver's seat. I was given a quick lesson in how the pre-selective gearbox worked and off we went. I very quickly learned that Ferret Scout Car is the best ride you'll ever have, with or without women (no offence ladies).

My instructions were simply to listen to the commands from my vehicle commander and, in the absence of anything else, just follow the Saracen in front. We set off into the ulu around West Tyrone. I didn't have a clue where we were, so I just follwed the Sarrybus. We covered the whole patrol area visiting the likes of Aucher and Clogher, Fivemiletown, Sixmilecross: all the usual favaourites.

In one such town, we drove past the RUC station. The Sarry took the chicane of 45 gallon oil drums filled with concrete without batting an eyelid: I followed in the Ferret. The six-wheeled Sarry took the line of sleeping policemen like they weren't there: there were always four wheels on the level and the giant wheels simply ate the sleeping policeman. As the Ferret approached the first sleeping policeman, I became aware of a strange whine in my earpiece. It got louder and louder until I struck the first sleeping policeman, then changed to a cry of, "Oh dear [i think]," from my commander. I cleared the rest of the sleeping policemen and cured any transmission wind-up there may have been.

I quickly learned the right way to take sleeping policemen at speed. I try not to make the method public because it gives me the edge over chavs and joyriders.

* Rubber dick: military term for a baton round made of rubber or similar material. The shape and size of ... well you get the idea. Get hit by one of these and you have been rubber-dicked, and hence the expression of being lumbered. As in "I have been ribber-dicked for Sergeants Mess fatigues and will be spending the day cleaning pots and pans."

See also Rubber dick gun http://www.arrse.com/wiki/Rubber_Dick_Gun

(sadly ARRSE seems to be down right now)

** Cherry-boy: A virgin; somebody who hasn't lost his cherry. Used both as a sexual and a military term. Military: somebody who hasn't yet proved himself in the eyes of his peers.

4 good...6 better?

Anyhow...maybe something, maybe nothing. I was looking at the tyres, and they are not in great shape...but the front left looks rather odd

Is this the tyre perishing, or is it scrubbing? The right rear also looks the same (the walls have also gone hard and kinda breaking up a little), and I am pretty sure that one has always been on the rear (looks like the ferret has been parked with the right side exposed to the weather).

As far as tracking is concerned, are Ferrets set up with neutral tracking (no toe-in)?

Thanks,

Mick

Richard,

I think you are 100% spot on. The tyres were almost flat when I got it (about 6 - 8 psi in all tyres), and one valve had been dragged into the tyre.

That makes me feel kinda better...in a strange way, at least there may not be anything wrong with the tracking/rolling gear.

I'd be interested in the toe in, just so I can make sure.

Cheers

Mick

Alien..... I just gotta meet up with you.... :rofl: :rofl:

Your outlook on your Tour o Duty seems to be very similar to mine, also round the same time too ( 74 Armagh and Cookstown ) :modpwr:

As for Mick...When I said ..fast-ish... Ididn't mean take a B.... Run up at it!!! :rofl:

But as alien put it ..best not to have a passenger at the time!! :naughty: Also if you got room and no other traffic... go across them at an angle too.. so you compress one wheel station at a time :tup:

All the Best and see Ya All Soon Yeah!!! :banana: :yay: :banana: :banana: :yay:

Fred and Annika