Is this a wind up?

MiketheBike

Question

I think I am experiencing transmission wind-up, and would like your opnions and advice.

After about 20 miles thru the lanes and A roads, my Ferret feel almost like its pulling back under power...like the engine is really struggling....would you say that is wind-up?

I checked the tyre diameters as suggested in another post, and they are pretty close (within an inch of each other as far as I can make out).

I know you can relieve this by driving up and down kerbs...alledgedly....but do I need to get a wheel off the ground to relieve it? So the question is...how fast do I drive off a kerb, and how high should that kerb be?

Could I just use a bottle jack to quickly lift one wheel on each side, or do I need to get each wheel off the ground in turn?

Cheers

Mick

Alien..... I just gotta meet up with you.... :rofl: :rofl:

Your outlook on your Tour o Duty seems to be very similar to mine, also round the same time too ( 74 Armagh and Cookstown )

Indeed. ISTR 15/19H had been patrolling Cookstown at the start of the 74 - 76 tour but handed over responsibility because the cavalry establishment was less than that of infantry so we couldn't cover as much area. Lucky really because when I joined in early 76, C Squadron was decimated by an outbreak of glandular fever.

But as alien put it ..best not to have a passenger at the time!! :naughty: Also if you got room and no other traffic... go across them at an angle too.. so you compress one wheel station at a time

SHHH!!! Don't tell them. Oops, too late.

Best if you can to take them from outside to inside so that the right front wheel hits the ramp first. Also, as you approach, brake firmly but steadily and progressively. compressing the front wheel stations. Then as the right front wheel is about to strike the ramp, release the brake and apply throttle. Releasing the brake eases the pressure in the wheel station, which the speed ramp takes straight back up. Using the whole width of your lane, many modern speed ramps have very little height near the kerb for the left front wheel to attack.

Best in an automatic where you can most easily go instantly from left-foot braking to right-foot acceleration.

You'd be surprised how much faster you can hit a speed ramp without the sickening vertical lurch you get if both wheels hit it together. A little sideways rocking is a whole lot easier to tolerate than the lurch.

Caveat: you'll still have the back wheels hitting the ramp at speed. Ought to be less of a lurch than the front wheels because they are being pulled over the ramp rather than pushed, but still potentially unpleasant for a back seat passenger. But what do I know? Back seat? I don't think so!

Mick,

Just checked, it is an 1/8"

Pull up another sandbag. 15/19H returned from Omagh to Tidworth (less C Squadron to Cyprus Sovereign Bases) in May 1976 and retrained on CVR(T). In September 1976 B Squadron deployed to Nicosia as United Nations Force In Cyprus (UNFICYP) Force Reserve Squadron patrolling the Green Line between the Greek and Turkish Cypriots in the aftermath of the recent war. Six troops of four Ferrets deployed, with Nicosia as base, to outstations across the country at Skouriotissa in the West, Ayios Nicolaos and Larnaca in the East. Patrols were undertaken by a section of two Ferrets.

Out of the Box Factory at Aye Nick, we patrolled the Green Line as far as the ghost town of Famagusta, which had been developing a name as the Monaco of the Eastern Med and a dream posting for married soldiers and their families before the war. One morning we undertook this patrol, stopping regularly at the observation posts (OPs) along the wire manned by the Finnish Contingent (FinCon) to check with them that all was well. While the two vehicle commanders spoke to the infantry, the two drivers carried out halt parades.

I checked the wheels. All seemed in order. I noticed a drop of oil on the ground inside the wheel station and decided to keep an eye on it. At the next OP I again noticed the oil. I happened to notice that the left front wheel was exactly aligned with the hull, and so was the right front.

By the time we reached the next OP, the steering was getting heavy and I couldn't help but notice that now the FSC was displaying a noticeable toe-out. We started the section of the patrol that skirted round the Famagusta outskirts to the coast. We were very close to the Turks and rather exposed in a sector where we were not expected to stop.

We had almost cleared the restricted zone south of Farmer G when the front end let go and I was stopped dead with the front wheels splayed wide open and the Ferret impossible to steer. We called for REME assistance and sat it out. The other car in the section headed back to ensure the REME could find us.

We sat, the two of us, under the Turkish guns, and decided we'd probably never get a better excuse to crack open the emergy four-man Compo ration pack strapped to the rear mudguard and got stuck in. What a lovely way to spend a peacekeeping tour.

well, I got the fluid flywheel tool.....kinda briliiantly simple really.

I guess that is wind-up and the fluid flywheel out of the equation.

Timing is my next stop. I checked the distributer, and referencing the field repairs handbook, it says if there is no red paint on the screws holding the synchronising plate it may have been messed with....well there is no paint.

How do I set check the TDC via flywheel markings? I can just about see the teeth on the flywheel, but don't have a hope in hell of seeing the timing markings. Is it a case of removing the spark plug in #1 cylinder and trying to get that at TDC?

Mick