Weeping Core plugs

thedawnpatrol

Question

anyone got a good fix for weeping core plugs ?

i know the best way is to re do them, but with an engine in and ancillary's in the way its a lot of work !

most annoying thing is, i have had the Rad re cored and i worry about pouring in one of these leak stopper fluids in case it blocks my new rad !

any good advise guys ?

Jules

14 answers to this question

anyone got a good fix for weeping core plugs ?

i know the best way is to re do them, but with an engine in and ancillary's in the way its a lot of work !

most annoying thing is, i have had the Rad re cored and i worry about pouring in one of these leak stopper fluids in case it blocks my new rad !

any good advise guys ?

Jules

I think you have to decide if the core plugs are leaking due to major corrosion. ie are they going to fail big time ( in which case they need changing )...or is it seepage due to limits and fits....i would not worry about using a leak inhibitor, such as Bars leaks or Radweld..as it will have a minimal effect on your new Rad.. When i worked at Jaguar cars in the 1970,s every new car got a tube of Bars leaks added..just in case !!

what sort of core plugs are they if convex tap in sort another tap in centre wont hurt if like flan dish suggest not cleaned before fitted what ever better putting effort in to repairing now rather then doing big damage in the future. Do it right once then forget about it

The core plugs were all changed when the engine was rebuilt 2 years ago! So all I can think is that they were not sealed properly.

Thoughts?

Jules

If these are the convex disc shape, they are known as welch plugs. Problem I find is that there are some inferior ones about. The edges should be ground with a sharp edge so when hit in the centre they lock in place (using Stag, Red Hermatite or similar sealant). Also got to watch that the seat in the block or head is not corroded or pitted.

If it is only a small weep from one spot, I would be inclined to try one of the better coolant sealers, K-Seal is brilliant for this and will not block radiator cores, unlike those things that look like something a dog has left behind (Barseal).

Thanks Chaps, i feel slightly better about using a product now, looks like K seal is the best..........

Yes, they are the convex type, and i have been able to give some an 'extra' tap, but there are a few i just can't get straight square on with out taking the engine out !

this is for my Humber 6 cylinder, so do i need to think about quantities ? it holds a lot of water...........

perhaps after this i will be able to get some Anti freeze in !

Thanks for all your help

Jules

Our local garage swears by a product called Steel Seal, apparently this is amazing stuff and has cured head gasket problems every time they've used it. It ain't cheap about £30 a bottle but may be worth trying ? I had a core plug go on my jeep in the middle of no where, wasn't good so if in doubt maybe changing is the way to go for peace of mind :undecided:

this is for my Humber 6 cylinder, so do i need to think about quantities ? it holds a lot of water...........

Hi Jules,

I wondered if it was your Humber. Something worth noting is that those Humber engines used welch plugs that were in metric sizes, unusual at the time compared to other British manufacturers.

I would make sure the leak is sealed before you add antifreeze as that has a searching effect and will find leaks you did not know you had.

regards, Richard

Thanks Richard

I'll try the K seal first, and if no good I'll change at least the ones I can get to. Trouble is, there are some small ones, about 1/2 inch which sit right behind the exhaust manifold, there a pig to change.

Jules

I have rebuilt a few Humber engines and agree some are awkward ! Best of luck.