Owner of cut down, non-running bren gun carrier.

Good evening and thank you for letting me join your forum.

I reside in Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada. I have a cut down, non-running bren gun carrier (not sure of model) which sat out uncovered in a field for over 30 years. I still have to get it home to my place.

My goal is to get it running again and restored as much as possible. I know I am going to ask stupid questions so I hope you will bear with me as I learn.

James

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93603[/ATTACH]& Welcome

Very friendly forum in here so nobody complains about questions.

We do need photos though :D

Oh yes, as above.

We don't bite (some have been known to nibble a bit tho!!)

Welcome to the green asylum, pictures would be great, we need our fix you see.

Always welcome to Carriers (my fave), as much info as possible. There is a large carrier following on here from all 4 corners of globe, it will be recognised, identified, parts sourced and up running in no time my friend!!

Paul

welcome james

you can't get better than a carrier for a piece of tracked armour, they're great to drive, easy to work on and parts are plentiful. there's also a few of us around the world restoring them at the moment so advice and help are on hand.

enjoy the resto

rick

Ill second that !

Im restoring a few carriers myself, learning is the best part ! hope to be of any help in the future. Guessing you have a Mk2 carrier.

Mark.....Q

UOTE=eddy8men;413778]welcome james

you can't get better than a carrier for a piece of tracked armour, they're great to drive, easy to work on and parts are plentiful. there's also a few of us around the world restoring them at the moment so advice and help are on hand.

enjoy the resto

rick

Thanks. Can you tell from photos what model it is? How?

Ill second that !

Im restoring a few carriers myself, learning is the best part ! hope to be of any help in the future. Guessing you have a Mk2 carrier.

Mark.....Q

UOTE=eddy8men;413778]welcome james

enjoy the resto

rick

Thanks .... I seem to be getting confused on how to reply and keep the thread correct.

Any reply will just tack onto the end of the thread not to a post further up.

Just use the quote button to start with, then if you want to reply to a number of people do this:-

@rog8811 Thanks for the info

@toner yes...or no....what was the question?

and so on...we will work it out anyway!

Good luck with the carrier and keep us informed

I can't tell from the pics which mark it is but the hull number will be stamped on the T shaped angle iron bracket on the left rear horizontal tool shelf . it is also stamped on the angle iron behind the gunners seat but it's been gas axed off.

The www.mapleleafup.net forum is the best carrier site around and most of the carrier guys post on it so it might be good to join the only trouble is the moderator is more than a little busy so you might have to wait a while before you can join.

by the way don't be put off by the missing armour there are lots of guys that have made detailed drawings of the armour and they would no doubt share them with you. look at paying £80 to get a full side cut at the profilers so it's actually quite cheap.

rick

Any reply will just tack onto the end of the thread not to a post further up.

Just use the quote button to start with, then if you want to reply to a number of people do this:-

@rog8811 Thanks for the info

@toner yes...or no....what was the question?

and so on...we will work it out anyway!

Good luck with the carrier and keep us informed

Thank you for letting me how to consolidate a reply.

I can't tell from the pics which mark it is but the hull number will be stamped on the T shaped angle iron bracket on the left rear horizontal tool shelf . it is also stamped on the angle iron behind the gunners seat but it's been gas axed off.

The www.mapleleafup.net forum is the best carrier site around and most of the carrier guys post on it so it might be good to join the only trouble is the moderator is more than a little busy so you might have to wait a while before you can join.

by the way don't be put off by the missing armour there are lots of guys that have made detailed drawings of the armour and they would no doubt share them with you. look at paying £80 to get a full side cut at the profilers so it's actually quite cheap.

rick

Thanks Rick, I will search for the number and publish it when I find it. Also thank you for your advice to replace the armour and in joining MLU.

no worries

Hello Rick

I need clarification on finding the hull serial number as I could not find it yesterday.

Standing behind the carrier looking forward on the left side there is one larger angle iron running all the way across from one track guard edge to the other and butting up against what is left of the rear engine armor. Is that the bar I need to check? On the top flat, top edge or bottom edge? How far in from the outside edge of the left track guard?

The only other angle iron in the left quarter is a smaller angle iron in the rear corner of the hull, plus the angle iron running all the way across the very back edge of the carrier.