Jeep Reading Material Question

Raggedy Man

Hello,

I am lucky enough to be in the position where I am now able to fund the purchase and restoration of a project. I am hoping to acquire a wartime Jeep restoration project and know that for the uneducated it can be a minefield. I really want to be as fully briefed as I can before I go out looking at things and am tempted to part with my cash.

I already have a copy of Ren Berniers Jeep Guide book on its way to me but wondered what other publications (either books or magazines) were about that give a good insight into buying and restoring a Jeep ?

Any help offered would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Regards Martin

'The Standardised war time jeep 1941-45' by John Farley

'The Standardised war time jeep 2 1941-45' by John Farley

If you can only buy one get the second one but I would advise you spend the money and get both. They are packed with original photos and information month on month for detail design changes and frame numbers for both Ford and Willys very highly recommended.

'The military jeep buyers bible' by Mark Askew

Useful in giving details of both war time and post war jeep variants including Hotchkiss so helpful in identifying what you may be looking at.

'All-American wonder the military jeep 1941-1945' by Ray Cowdery

Getting a bit dated now but still contains useful information may not be currently in print but can be obtained via the usual book sites

regards

Pete

In addition to the books i would also recommend you join the G503 jeep forum full of useful knowledge from jeep people all over the world.

One thing you may find useful is after doing your research on the web and from reference books is sit down and make a tick box list with three headings at the top namely Ford Willys Hotchkiss then down the side set out the identifying features you would expect to see for each make, you can detail your chart with early and late features for a more detailed analysis if you wish.

I use excel for this now but you can do it long hand just as well, take the list to any prospective purchase and go round and tick the boxes, very quickly you will build a accurate picture of what you are actually looking at also don't be afraid to take along some reference material as well. Don't get into an argument with the seller over details just tick your boxes and make your own mind up about what it is you are really looking at if he's not comfortable with you doing this there is probably a reason and don't be afraid to walk away.

Pete

BOOKS ARE GREAT ! but no substitute for the real thing ! join a local military club mvt etc so you can meet jeep owners and see the jeeps, or check if any FORUM JEEP OWNERS LIVE IN YOUR AREA, turning up in a jeep always make the seller a bit more HONEST !! LOL

Many thanks for the replies. Really interesting to hear other people's recommendations. Have started to look for them already in the usual places. The idea of a tick sheet is a brilliant idea. Especially for someone like myself with a memory like a goldfish.

I certainly will seek some local advice. Would prefer to read up on the subject first and have some idea of what people may talk to me about. I think possibly or hopefully it would show I am a bit more serious and worth investing time on.

Many thanks for the replies. Really interesting to hear other people's recommendations. Have started to look for them already in the usual places. The idea of a tick sheet is a brilliant idea. Especially for someone like myself with a memory like a goldfish.

I certainly will seek some local advice. Would prefer to read up on the subject first and have some idea of what people may talk to me about. I think possibly or hopefully it would show I am a bit more serious and worth investing time on.

Two invaluable resources when you start fettling the jeep you ultimately purchase

http://www.jeepdraw.com/

http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.html

• 3 weeks later...
Definatly get All American Wonder volumes 1 and 2

Good luck, Richard

I agree with Richard get Ray Cowdreys books, after I had rebuilt my Jeep from a box of bits in spring 1994, the MVT would not come out and validate it for DOT registration purposes ( didn't I know there was a big anniversary this year, the 50th ? and they were to busy ) yes I did I was trying to get to it 3 months hence !!! Ray kindly traded faxes with me that the Chelmsford DOT office accepted as proof of its age and issued a Registration. I am still a paid up MVT member, but not forgiven them that...