Where is everybody?...

Enigma

Question

Don't forget all us types in the Antipodes and other far flung outposts who won't be on the beaches (our PM got free tickets though!)

I went with some mates to the D Day events in 1984 when I was a lot younger!

I should dig out my slides to scan and post some. There may be some familiar faces for the forum regulars, they were all strangers to me then.

The group of us from Aussie gave Peter Gray a hand to get his vehicles going before the tour. I haven't helped to change a set of M10 tracks before or since! He's a great bloke who couldn't do enough for us visitors. (even bought me a bottle of Buttercup cough syrup for my irritated throat!)

Andrew B

Don't forget all us types in the Antipodes and other far flung outposts who won't be on the beaches (our PM got free tickets though!)

I went with some mates to the D Day events in 1984 when I was a lot younger!

I should dig out my slides to scan and post some. There may be some familiar faces for the forum regulars, they were all strangers to me then.

The group of us from Aussie gave Peter Gray a hand to get his vehicles going before the tour. I haven't helped to change a set of M10 tracks before or since! He's a great bloke who couldn't do enough for us visitors. (even bought me a bottle of Buttercup cough syrup for my irritated throat!)

Andrew B

Andrew, that was my first Normandy!! and maybe the best, did you stay on the Arromache campsite? please have the slides scanned, I have next to nothing from that period.

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

Hi Lex,

I've been busy so only looked here today. Looks like I had better get busy, now where are those slides from 1984!

We were camped with the American vehicles so probably at one of the US beaches. I can't remember, just following the crowd as a passenger. We did attend the last night dinner in a large hanger, where i remember an announcement about some of the cross channel ferries going on strike or something. That threw a few people into a tizz as they were going back to work the next day or so.

Also remember the local dignitaries putting on drinks at Rommels HQ - a very large house in open grounds (where I don't know!)

Anyway It was a great experience for those of us from the other side.

regards Andrew B

Hi Lex,

I've been busy so only looked here today. Looks like I had better get busy, now where are those slides from 1984!

We were camped with the American vehicles so probably at one of the US beaches. I can't remember, just following the crowd as a passenger. We did attend the last night dinner in a large hanger, where i remember an announcement about some of the cross channel ferries going on strike or something. That threw a few people into a tizz as they were going back to work the next day or so.

Also remember the local dignitaries putting on drinks at Rommels HQ - a very large house in open grounds (where I don't know!)

Anyway It was a great experience for those of us from the other side.

regards Andrew B

Hi Andrew,

I remember some of those who came over in 1984 and still see them. Recently I saw some movie taken on your trip. I was at Portsmouth D-Day show that year but was unable to get to Normandy.

Look forward to any photos that you can find.

regards, Richard