Help identifying uncommon trailer

• 1 month later...
empty...

owner thinks it was used as a mobile tool shop... he once found a photo of one like it on the web it was painted red

forgot to say the front box isnt part of it

Hi all.

The owner has now decided to sell the trailer, and has now finally bothered to pull the trailer away from the wall, and show the data plate on what he has been saying, is a military bdr trailer, when trying valiantly to sell me the damn thing without my having seen it! Seeing the pictures, finally, since the owner is one of the most evasive people I have ever met, I know it's not a bdr trailer, but am still curious, like Chris in finding out what it is. Anyways, the trailer was manufactured by MF Robertshaw ltd, of Bletchley, Bucks. There is no mil reg number, and it was manufactured in August 1956. I have attached a picture of the data plate, as found on a maltese site.

Would appreciate any info or leads.

regards

Martin

image.jpg

Here's a few more pictures of the trailer. Still none of the insides though.

It it still has the uk registration number of the vehicle it originally came off, as can be seen in one of the pics. The two hitch looks really flimsy, and there doesn't seem to be any front stand or jockey wheel.

regards

Martin

image.jpg

image.jpg

M.F. Robertshaw Ltd.

Announced in 1956 a combined two wheel tanker and cargo trailer, note the small drawing lower right of the page of the trailer, it looks the same shape body

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/1st-june-1956/110/new-combined-tanker-freight-trailer-a-dual-purpose

also exhibiting at the 1964 Commercial Motor show, "showing again their two wheeled Camel trailer designed to carry goods and liquids and mounted auxillery fire fighting equipment or as a heavy equipment servicing trailer also manufacturers of tool trailers for the Post Office".

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/25th-september-1964/276/robertshaw-stand-127-m-f-robertshaw-ltd-bletchley-

Edited by Nick Johns

M.F. Robertshaw Ltd.

Announced in 1956 a combined two wheel tanker and cargo trailer, note the small drawing lower right of the page of the trailer, it looks the same shape body

http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/1st-june-1956/110/new-combined-tanker-freight-trailer-a-dual-purpose

Result! I started looking through that archive material, but swmbo curtailed my PC time so I missed it. Thanks!

It's an interesting trailer, and seems to have the remnants of red paint on it. The wherefore and why of it's arrival on the island are unknown. All that I know is that it was given to the current owner when the long closed yard was emptied a couple of years ago, prior to the whole area being built up as flats. The yard owner was one of Malta's biggest surplus dealers who decided to shut up shop when his biggest source, the british forces, upped stakes and moved out.

Once again, thanks for the assistance.

regards,

Martin