Unfriendly neighbours???

Snapper

Lost a wheel nut yesterday on a slow cruise along Southend sea front. the beast likes things slow anyway and it was only after traversing a speed hump that things became noisy. Instantish stop - but no sign of missing item - had to tighten up the other four which were all quite loose. Weird.... I had to park the Iltis further down my street on Saturday night and it is a mystery to me how a set of what had been five perfectly tightened wheel nuts can come loose in less than a mile on a sunny Sunday. I'd also acquired several fish and chip wrapping ands twenty pence! Hope I'm not being paranoid, but I suspect a little foul play. Great. Now I'm off shopping for a wheelnut. And I've got two chips in my windscreen - unfortunately not of the Maris Piper variety. These trials....

Lost a wheel nut yesterday on a slow cruise along Southend sea front. the beast likes things slow anyway and it was only after traversing a speed hump that things became noisy. Instantish stop - but no sign of missing item - had to tighten up the other four which were all quite loose. Weird.... I had to park the Iltis further down my street on Saturday night and it is a mystery to me how a set of what had been five perfectly tightened wheel nuts can come loose in less than a mile on a sunny Sunday. I'd also acquired several fish and chip wrapping ands twenty pence! Hope I'm not being paranoid, but I suspect a little foul play. Great. Now I'm off shopping for a wheelnut. And I've got two chips in my windscreen - unfortunately not of the Maris Piper variety. These trials....

I'd suspect foul play also.

Maybe a good idea to go to the Police to report your suspicion.

They can't do much but at least they will have a report if a courtcase or whatever should follow in the future.

I think legally; loosening wheelnuts is quite a crime!!!

Don't let anyone (neighbours, kids) and such know you suspect foul play, you might be able to catch them in the act.

Do check your vehicle regularly!!

If the bonnet can be opened easily then use a little tape or whatever so you can see its opened by someone. Make sure they can't see that.

Also look underneath for fluids (gas, brakefluid).

Stay safe!

I've got a usable replacement from VW this morning. Locking studs is a good idea. I think this was just a bit of stupid foul play. I don't like to generalise, but will anyway..we've got some pretty dodgy looking near neighbours. They stay a while, skip the rent and do a runner. Happens every time. We've had two drugs raids in the past month. But we have minimal obvious crime and everything is peaceful. Just an odd mix of circumstances. This is not to say my house isn't alarmed up like Fort Knox and my two attack-cats are not to be messed with (especially near meal times).

• 1 month later...

Get a camera installed and if it does go quiet you can always while your time away watching yourself working on your wagon. I'm very fortunate that I have no immediate neighbours and can both hear and see eople coming for half a kilometre before they ca see me. Low and behold if they tried anything at my gaff.

Mick

PS a neighbour got robbed once and I told the Guardia Civil what I would do if I caught them. Their reply was... just don't kill em we need them alive to prosecute. I agreed.

Mick

Michael,

When I lived in the Basque country for a year I was told that if you catch an intruder on your property you should shoot to kill. If they die on your property you can't be done for murder but if they crawl off and then die you can. I never found out if it was really true though...

Joking apart, you should report it to the rozzers. Get a cheap camera from one of the DIY stores to catch 'em out.

I'd tend to agree there............if for no other reason than peace of mind.

glad you didn't pick up any damage.

Andy