Land Rover Lightweight Questions

Peter4456

I wonder if anyone can help with the following questions please (it's a 1980 Series 3 FFR):

Tool box in the engine bay - are the hinges at the top or bottom? (I've seen both!)

What's the correct route for the windscreen washer pipes? (the washer bottle is on the wing) is the t piece in the centre of the bonnet?

Thanks in advance!

The older Lightweight with the "Jack-in-box" located under the rear nearside wheel-arch , far better to keep your sandwiches cool & fresh.

My lwt has that box... ' been looking at a lot of pics of lwts and noticed that a lot of them don't (makes me feel kind of special :cool2:).

Matt

I'm a brand new Landrover owner. My first rover being a S-III lwt. So I'm still fideling with what's what. I can say it's been a very long time since I was excited about working on a truck. Just wish I had both lots of time & money to do so......

Matt

And another question from me!

Where / how does the jack handle fit for storage? - I thought it was under the bonnet with the starting handle but I can't see how it fits (perhaps I've got the wrong jack handle!).

What does the correct jack for a 1980 Lightweight look like?

The jack handle (metal) fits with the starting handle under the bonnet, The two clips are shaped such with rubber anti-vibration pads (although new are delivered with corrugated card at this position also - stop paint scratching LoL.

Find the hole in bonnet rib with large red grommet - for the handle location (crank) of starting handle.

The wood (as in tree) jack handle - there is no known stowage LoL

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/6820/543301-WOODEN-JACK-HANDLE.html?search=wood%20jack%20handle&page=1

I should have photographs of all this , also correct jack , will post up

btw , probably the RAREST L'wt tool type thingie is the steel tube BZP plated that stows in the terry clips , tub side of seat backrest , bet you don't have one LoL

You are not complete without one !

I have only ever seen just ONE !! didn't know I had one , sort of half knew it was there but thought it was some sort of tent-pole of antenna extension. Best of it was , I had been looking for one to measure length , OD & wall-thickness to replicate exact some fakes LoL

btw , probably the RAREST L'wt tool type thingie is the steel tube BZP plated that stows in the terry clips , tub side of seat backrest , bet you don't have one LoL

You are not complete without one !

I have only ever seen just ONE !! didn't know I had one , sort of half knew it was there but thought it was some sort of tent-pole of antenna extension. Best of it was , I had been looking for one to measure length , OD & wall-thickness to replicate exact some fakes LoL

Would that be the bar that runs from the tub bulkhead to the tailgate for hooking your feet under when traveling in the back by any chance?

The very one , as seen in action in the L'wt book by Mark Cook , defo. still fitted to new L'wt until at least - end of 1980 that I know of . GRAB RAIL 346118

Now - to release it , you have to remove a upper body side , but it is intended for use in stripped truck mode when both upper-body sides & the upper tail-gate not fitted.

Presently the truck is sardine packed in a storage garage & I can't get it off. I suspect it is just a common tube size , for strength - probably not a seamed conduit or similar. Some time I intend copy of a few, don't think they are available.

Suspect discontinued towards the end of production , when they stopped fitting such as the front bumperettes - there again , there was a use and it remained , the practicalities LoL