Registering my BSA WM20 without any documentation

Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have searched and found similar topics but none that focus on the whole of my problem.

I am starting to think about registering my 1940 BSA WM20 but have a few problems.

It has never been registered in the UK before and therefore has no registration documentation (at all).

I do have two letters from The Vintage Motorcycle Club LTD which confirms the engine and frame dates but bold capital letters state on the letter that it should not be used as certificate of dating.

I just need to know where to start as the DVLA website isn't the most clear and I don't know where I can get a proof of age that can be used for a certificate of dating.

Hope you can help

Many thanks.

Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have searched and found similar topics but none that focus on the whole of my problem.

I am starting to think about registering my 1940 BSA WM20 but have a few problems.

It has never been registered in the UK before and therefore has no registration documentation (at all).

I do have two letters from The Vintage Motorcycle Club LTD which confirms the engine and frame dates but bold capital letters state on the letter that it should not be used as certificate of dating.

I just need to know where to start as the DVLA website isn't the most clear and I don't know where I can get a proof of age that can be used for a certificate of dating.

Hope you can help

Many thanks.

I see you are a MVT member, there is your answer, go to their website and check out Vehicle Verification.

Hi, if you contact the MVT through there web site they can arrange a dating letter that the DVlA will accept as proof of age, they will arrange for some one to come and look at the bike and then send you proof, there is a charge for this, once you have this you will need an mot and insurance and the correct form from the DVLA that you can order this of there web site and they will post this to you. Once you have all the paperwork you post to Swansea with the fee and they will send you a new mot and log book and tax disc.

Hope this helps Simon

Hi, if you contact the MVT through there web site they can arrange a dating letter that the DVlA will accept as proof of age, they will arrange for some one to come and look at the bike and then send you proof, there is a charge for this, once you have this you will need an mot and insurance and the correct form from the DVLA that you can order this of there web site and they will post this to you. Once you have all the paperwork you post to Swansea with the fee and they will send you a new mot and log book and tax disc.

Hope this helps Simon

Quite true

Go to the MVT website and follow the verification tab, complete the online form and away we go.

Just a note there is no charge for the service if you are an MVT member, however the Inspector can claim a mileage/travel allowance for the visit.

You will need a form V55/5 to complete the registration and some other documents (these are outlined in the covering letter that will accompany your dating cert) and then send off to DVLA Swansea

MVT Verification Officer

Very True, I was very lucky and the MVT Officer didn't charge any mileage (thanks John Denny) to check my Jeep when it needed it. Since then I have done a couple of checks on behalf of the MVT in my area and also returned the favour by not claiming expenses.

So without doubt it is the best way forward.

If the bike needs an MOT for it's first time on UK roads (obviously it will be MOT exempt after that if it is pre 1960) you can do this on it's frame number, once the DVLA have issued a V5c they will stamp the MOT with its allocated UK registration number. Be aware some insurance companies will only issue a short term cover note for a vehicle frame number so make sure before you arrange cover that everything else is ready to send to the DVLA before getting the cover note, I had the same trouble by the time Swansea got around to processing the paperwork my cover note had run out :mad: I had to persuade my insurance company to issue another cover note which they were loathe to do. With the closure of the local DVLA offices Swansea have a lot more work so delays are common. Good Luck :-)

As your bike has no paperwork you will need to submit the dreaded NOVA Revenue & Customs form for clearance first as discussed on here,

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38476-Nova/page3&highlight=NOVA+form

Or to save lots of hassle there is a Company that for a fee will handle the whole registration process for you

http://www.secondaddress.com/dvladatingletters/index.htm

Edited by Nick Johns

If the bike needs an MOT for it's first time on UK roads (obviously it will be MOT exempt after that if it is pre 1960) you can do this on it's frame number, once the DVLA have issued a V5c they will stamp the MOT with its allocated UK registration number. Be aware some insurance companies will only issue a short term cover note for a vehicle frame number so make sure before you arrange cover that everything else is ready to send to the DVLA before getting the cover note, I had the same trouble by the time Swansea got around to processing the paperwork my cover note had run out :mad: I had to persuade my insurance company to issue another cover note which they were loathe to do. With the closure of the local DVLA offices Swansea have a lot more work so delays are common. Good Luck :-)

No need for an MOT at registration

Providing the bike is pre 1960 its exempt MOT

As your bike has no paperwork you will need to submit the dreaded NOVA Revenue & Customs form for clearance first as discussed on here,

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38476-Nova/page3&highlight=NOVA+form

Or to save lots of hassle there is a Company that for a fee will handle the whole registration process for you

http://www.secondaddress.com/dvladatingletters/index.htm

Generally if the vehicle is British manufacture then the NOVA form is not required

The verification letter will state country of manufacture, if that is United Kingdom then no problems.

We have just verified a Diamond T 980 and it has been registered with no problem. The verification letter explained that the although the vehicle was USA manufatured it was supplied under lend lease to the UK. The DVLA accepted this

Generally if the vehicle is British manufacture then the NOVA form is not required

The verification letter will state country of manufacture, if that is United Kingdom then no problems.

We have just verified a Diamond T 980 and it has been registered with no problem. The verification letter explained that the although the vehicle was USA manufatured it was supplied under lend lease to the UK. The DVLA accepted this

Thanks all so far, very helpful advice for an annoyingly awkward task.

I was going to bring up the same thing as Brooky. When I imported the Welbike from the US it was exempt because it was British Manufacture. I would imaging it would be the same in this case. Just depend whether I have to contact NOVA anyway or just continue passed it.

The bike is British, presumably not imported therefore why get HMRC involved??

The verification cert will show country of manufacture as UK,presumably you have the contract number which would prove its British anyway

Thanks for clearing this up.

I have the contract numbers for the engine and frame. The contract plate is also there but covered in paint. Will probably try to clear that paint this weekend for further confirmation of age.

Many thanks to you and everyone else

The bike is British, presumably not imported therefore why get HMRC involved??

Ty

HMRC is involved Since last year when the regs changed this is the situation now, going by what Barry, RMS went through trying to register his Bedford that had no paperwork or release note

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38476-Nova&p=373560#post373560

Edited by Nick Johns

I refer you to the comments regarding the Diamond T that has just been registered

No request for NOVA form

If you read the whole thread regarding the Bedford there seems to be no problem if the vehicle is pre 1973

Edited by Brooky

• 2 weeks later...
HMRC is involved Since last year when the regs changed this is the situation now, going by what Barry, RMS went through trying to register his Bedford that had no paperwork or release note

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?38476-Nova&p=373560#post373560

Since posting the original thread i have registered several vehicles, some the same situation as the Bedford some i bought in from France/Belgium. I complete the Nova online and usually get the clearance within a few days without any trouble. No VAT has been requested to date but all the vehicles have been 1940/50's.