new to sabres

justinb

Its an ex belgian hull ,the turret shown is being swapped for a sabre turret ,a bit of a mess but i like a challenge ,the only major bit missing is the mantlet if anyone knows of one ,i should be able to make up a dummy rarden

justin

Hi Justin,

You are within a couple of miles of 5 different CVRT variants, so plenty to look at if you get stuck plus we are always buying and selling bits. Unfortunately you will struggle to get a mantlet. I found one after over a year of looking, on a vehicle which was being scrapped. One will turn up eventually, but you might need to buy a whole vehicle to get one!

Chris

helston gun smiths have got one but they want 8000 plus vat for it :-(

there's plenty to go at for the moment so i'm not too stressed , i may even stick a scorpion turret on or something like that .or fabricate one like a chap on the 432 forum .

justin

I am a bit confused as to what you have purchased.

I read the advert and did not in my pea brain understand that this was a Sabre more like a Sabre turret and another variant chassis, a bit of a cobbled together affair.

Please pardin my comment but from the distance I am at it was hard to gain any other view.

Is it really a genuine Sabre?

R

AS far as i'm aware and i'm no expert on cvrts ,the scorpion and scimitar share the same hull and turret,when the scorpion was removed from service the fox turret was added to create the sabre ,so logically if you add a fox turret to a scorpion or scimitar you get a sabre .

however if its going to upset anyone i'll devise a new name for it such as large metal thingy with turny roundy thing on top:-D

Hi Justin,

It looks like the restoration race will be on this year - I will wait till yours arrives before I pull the sheet off mine and get building!

Your'e on!

you have got a head start!!

if you want a hand with the paint job i'm not bad with a spraygun ,

cheers justin

Justin

Your first job should be to whip the front decks off and give it a reet good old jetwash... Then post a load of pics on a restoration thread so we can see what you've got... And the good bit is none of that will cost you a penny!

Cheers

Timbo

Justin

Your first job should be to whip the front decks off and give it a reet good old jetwash... Then post a load of pics on a restoration thread so we can see what you've got... And the good bit is none of that will cost you a penny!

Cheers

Timbo

Yes I think that will be the plan ,i might even go and hire a steam cleaner and really go for it ,i'm hoping its not as bad as the 432 ,that was seriously minging .

justin

That quarry mud sticks like the proverbial to a blanket doesn't it..?

Looks like you made a good job of the old girl though!

the Quarry mud came off ok it was the ancient black sludge under the floor that took some shifting ,she does look

good though now .

hows your cvrt project going ?

It doesn't matter how clean you get the engine and gearbox bay when you restore it, it will be filthy almost straight away once you start using it!

And I thought 70s technology was better than 60s LOL

surely the cvrts don't have labyrinth oil seals!?

justin

And I thought 70s technology was better than 60s LOL

surely the cvrts don't have labyrinth oil seals!?

justin

I think it's just armoured vehicle technology!

This is the engine bay in my Scimitar, base overhauled in 2008 and scrapped in 2011. No idea how they managed to spill so much oil in there!

SAM_3613.jpg

Chris