M422 Mighty mite

jamie meachin

Hello,

I have recently purchased a M422 mighty mite but don't know much about them? I know it's one of 1250-ish built, other than the chassis, all the body work is made from aluminium, you can drive it on 3 wheels without it falling over ect. Can anyone help me with information on this jeep, it's uses, original pictures, where could I get spares for it ect?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Regards

Jamie

Hello,

I have recently purchased a M422 mighty mite but don't know much about them? I know it's one of 1250-ish built, other than the chassis, all the body work is made from aluminium, you can drive it on 3 wheels without it falling over ect. Can anyone help me with information on this jeep, it's uses, original pictures, where could I get spares for it ect?

Any help would be very appreciated.

I owned an M422A1 Mighty Mite a few years ago, the M422 was the original model 6" shorter! Its very rare over here, at the time I had mine it was the only complete running example in the UK, there were a couple of non runners, it featured in Classic military vehicle mag. I took it to W&P show where it created a lot of interest. Less then 4000 were built exclusively for the USMC, American Motors got the contract to build it, steel box chassis ally body, air cooled V4 engine, independent suspension similar to Citroen 2cv in design, self locking differentials which made for amazing off road performance, and a bit of a handfull on road in the wet too, its very light weight, specifically designed to be airlifted into combat under a helicopter, this was its eventual demise, it took years to develop by the Military and get in production, by then helicopter design had improved with bigger lifting capacity so it became too expensive to continue, 3 times the cost of a standard Jeep, lots ended their days in Vietnam.

Spares are only available in the US I bought a NOS differential assy and canvas top from the very helpfull http://www.surplusjeep.com/M422/M422LeadPage.htm but some engine parts, valves etc, were no longer available back then. Apart from the standard military 24volt electrics and the later addition of an M38A1 windscreen no mechanical parts are interchangeable with any other MV everything was specific to the MM

On G503.com the Jeep forum there is a section for Mighty mites, plenty of help and info on there, PM me if you want any more info

http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=5fdd14563d9f20a0b99f1e9baafb1db1

pics of mine which is now in a private collection in Australia

Mite 001.jpg

ST2_5949.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

Thanks for that Nick,that's a great help. It's completely new to me, I'm not familiar with 60's vehicles. It makes a change to work with something so light unlike my halftrack I'm restoring. I'll get some pictures on here if I can, it's still in its original colours, still has it's original marking and mostly complete minus the front seats which I believe the hot rod boys loved in there roadsters and it has no engine for now.

If it has no engine do you have the gearbox and front differential? you can only remove the engine power pack in one unit with g/box/transfer box and front diff attached, once removed from the vehicle the engine can be removed from the rest.

Found this video of my MM at the Brooklands MV day a few years ago on the Mercedes Benz off road course, skip forward towards the end of the video, the shot of the Mighty mite stopped with a back wheel 3' off the ground is not stuck just paused for pics!

Edited by Nick Johns