The Jacques Littlefield Collection is being re-located

Richard Farrant

Wow. They are selling of 160 of them! that is quite a lot of armour to come back on to the market in one go. Maybe the Toad will come back to the UK?

I understand they are keeping all of the ww2 dated vehicles and anything historically significant. There are a number of duplicates and/or common vehicles in the collection, which would probably be the ones they'd start selling.

I would surmise that any of the non US vehicles will be the first one to get binned. I notice indication of that is that the Saladin is not going.

Hmmmm I bet a few people are sharpening pencils to put in a job lot price on the remainder as we speak:cool2:

No prizes for where they will reappear.

R

Yes, it does look like a good home. I find it a bit odd though. We are going to give you 80 tanks and sell 160 others so we can also give you the money to build a really big shed to put the 80 in. I guess there are not many collections in the world which could receive that many vehicles in one go and find a home for them all, so it makes sense to break up the collection. A bit of a nightmare of an exercise to be a trustee of this. I am surprised that Jacques did not work out all the fine detail beforehand concerning the endowment of the collection as he had been ill for the last ten years. I am sure that all the detail will come out over the next few months.

I was under the impression that Robin was suggesting that the 160 being sold off would appear in the hands of another well known collector and not the Collings Foundation, or maybe I read that wrong.

What Robin was meaning is simple.

If you look at the collection, what pieces wouldn't make it to the new home?

Simple, anything not American. Like vultures around a dying corpse the big boys with the big money will be there will the age old line, "well, its gong to be a tough sell, but we will give you a job lot price on everything and then your worries are over".

There a number of modern (post second war) vehicles that will be a good seller once you find a buyer. It is only dealers who have speculating money.

Time will tell, I know which ones I would go for.

R

Sorry Robin, but when you said this I thought you had a specific collection in mind:

No prizes for where they will reappear.

R

I think they would keep some other nations vehicles not just US, but as Lauren said WW2 vehicles. The Panther would be a big draw, and maybe a couple of token British WW2 stuff. Post war non US stuff I think will go elsewhere quite quickly, but happy to be proved wrong.

Will we ever see such a fine collection amassed again ? I wonder if there are enough fabulously wealthy tank collectors around to keep inflating the prices or will they settle down a little ! Will a rich Arab or Russian scoop the lot ? Shame to see Mr Littlefields passion being split up but thats life I guess ! I must remember to brain wash my children more so that Daisy and my Humber remain in the family forever ! :-D

I think the new owners look like a very professional outfit and I'm sure they'll provide a good home. I'm looking forward to visiting when they're up and running at the new location - it sounds like it'll be much more accessible. It's a shame that it's so far from the current volunteers though.

Looking at the website they have a good eye for historical vehicles, so I think they'll make good decisions on what to keep and what needs to go. It's unfortunate to see anything go for sale, but there it is, the collection needs to be preserved. The alternative is that it all gets split up as I don't think anyone could take on a collection of that size in one go (though I know a few wouldn't mind trying ;) )

It's an important reminder to all of us to plan for what happens to our various toys, vehicles and artifacts when we go. I'm reminded of that other thread talking about wills and legacies.

• 1 month later...

I've been out of the loop for quite a while so it watch some sadness that I read his news. Are there likely to be any WW2 vehicles going to auction or absolutely none at all?

I have just signed up to work for a US company based in Colorado so I will be able to drop in on on the East coast and have a look at he Collings Foundation when the armour has moved.

Edited by ajmac

A few months ago I was fortunate to have dinner with Rob Collings.

The purchase of the Littlefield Collection came up in general discussion and I must say, I found Rob to be very passionate in regard to the preservation of such historical pieces and I can't think of a better person or trust to look after it.

All in all, he was very excited about the collection and his future plans in regard to the items in it.

Markheliops

A few months ago I was fortunate to have dinner with Rob Collings.

The purchase of the Littlefield Collection came up in general discussion and I must say, I found Rob to be very passionate in regard to the preservation of such historical pieces and I can't think of a better person or trust to look after it.

All in all, he was very excited about the collection and his future plans in regard to the items in it.

Markheliops

That's great news :)

• 3 weeks later...
I'm a volunteer at the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation and been covering the vehicle preparations for the merger and auction on my public Facebook page. Here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/toadmanstankpictures

You do not need a Facebook account to view the pictures and videos.

Wow that is some collection!!!!

Do you know which vehicles are to be kept and which are to be auctioned?

To my knowledge, the auction list hasn't been officially released yet. I do know that many of the vehicles will be post-war types. However, there will be two Shermans in the mix, including an M4A3(75) dry stowage and an Israeli M51. There will also be an M5 Stuart and I think an M3A1 Stuart going on the block as well. Also on the block is a beautiful M37 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage.

The vehicles being kept include all of the WW II German, Russian, and British stuff. Most of the American WW II stuff and a few post-war items such as an M41 Walker Bulldog, M551 Sheridan, T-72 and a few others.

Once the list is officially released by the auction company, I'll update my page and the various vehicles sites such as HMVF with the list and link(s).

To my knowledge, the auction list hasn't been officially released yet. I do know that many of the vehicles will be post-war types. However, there will be two Shermans in the mix, including an M4A3(75) dry stowage and an Israeli M51. There will also be an M5 Stuart and I think an M3A1 Stuart going on the block as well. Also on the block is a beautiful M37 105mm Howitzer Motor Carriage.

The vehicles being kept include all of the WW II German, Russian, and British stuff. Most of the American WW II stuff and a few post-war items such as an M41 Walker Bulldog, M551 Sheridan, T-72 and a few others.

Once the list is officially released by the auction company, I'll update my page and the various vehicles sites such as HMVF with the list and link(s).

I'm glad the Sheridan is staying with the collection. Is the auction going to pay for the resto on the British vehicles? There was a Valentine outside when I visited and I seem to remember pictures of a Cromwell in the sheds at the back.

Edited by Lauren Child

I'm glad the Sheridan is staying with the collection. Is the auction going to pay for the resto on the British vehicles? There was a Valentine outside when I visited and I seem to remember pictures of a Cromwell in the sheds at the back.

The auction will raise funds for the move to Massachusetts and for the new museum building that the Collings Foundation is building for the remaining vehicles. I've heard nothing about it funding any restorations. Once everything is settled in the next year and a half or so, I'm sure they'll get started on some restoration work.

Latest from Collings Foundation newsletter on the move and auction:

An auction will be held at the Military Vehicle Technology Foundation July 11th and 12th. There will be over 130 major artifacts (tanks, trucks, armored vehicles, military equipment, parts, etc.) up for sale. This includes British tanks, Stuart, Sherman, Grant, T55, Humvee, Scud A missile launcher, German 88 cannon, amphibious vehicles and more. Proceeds from the auction will go directly into the transportation of artifacts, construction of the new facility, maintenance and general operations. Auctions America is hosting the event.