Brittish WWII generator..??

Louis

Hello everyone,

Who can tell me if this is wartime and if it is compleat....?

Also handy to know what is this gen wurth..??

Hi Louis,

It is a 1260watt Charging Set, British WW2 and powered by a number of different engines, that looks like a Petter as I have one, there should be a separate charging panel with it. They were use to charge banks of batteries.

Value? Difficult to say, heavy old lump to move around. There should also be two wooden poles to slide through the frame for carrying.

About 2 years ago , I showed several photographs of one complete and in nice condition. Turned up near to me having been taken out of a local cinema in part payment for work done. It had to me been in storage in quite dry conditions - unlike all WW" era. stuf I have viewed in over 40 years. The new owner considered it of some value (as I did) . However the forum opinion was that it was not rare and more or less scrap value , I advised the owner - so possibly it ended up skipped ?

Hay Ian,

Thank you for the update.

The seller calls it a Jap Generator...das that makes any sence...??

Cheers,

Louis

Ah, it could be a J.A.P. as they look very similar to the Petter, your photo did not zoom up so not able to see any details. There were other engine makes including Norman. I recollect working on a JAP one still in service in the late Seventies.

It seemed to me that this would make a easy tidy up and addition to somebody's WW2 collection , truck bed or trailer mound for show display - seems to me that it has to have tracks , wheels & own motive power to interest ??

I think these Coventry Climax generators were fitted in some Command vehicles, note the length of starting handle.

[quote name=ruxy;38953

seems to me that it has to have tracks ' date=' wheels & own motive power to interest ??

This is the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, so it's inevitable that generators, uniforms etc. might be seen as less of an interest to many. That said, I and I'm sure most on here also like the miscellaneous equipment associated with vehicles.

Why did you not buy it? It looks a good one as you say.

I had in fact considered purchase, get it operational for a remote garage / workshop that I have - I use a Kawasaki portable that meets my lighting needs and does not need (always non existent) floor space. Apart from that , I left the WW2 scene (Jeep) 35 years ago to concentrate Land Rover. At the time this genny turned up, I doubted if a better example could be found if somebody wanted it , nobody ever PM'd me. As I said , my opinion was somebody would wish to have it as added interest to tow along as part of a display as part of load..

Hay Ian,

Thank you for the update.

The seller calls it a Jap Generator...das that makes any sence...??

Cheers,

Louis

Hi Louis,

The Jap is the make of engine stands for (James Alan Prestwich if I remember right).

I have one the same, as has been said they were for battery charging purposes. They are a bit later than wartime, late '50s or '60s I think but would have to check to get an exact date.

I have a Petter and Control Panel for sale at the moment if anyone is interested. The Generator was rebuilt during the 1960's and appears not to have been used since. I would take a Mk1 Chorehorse in exchange.

My Jap Manual is dated January 1943 and is listed as the first edition.

I also have a 1940 1260 watt Onan for sale with WD Plates which is very rare.

I picked up a little charging set the other day it was heading for the scrapman, its powered by a JAP engine, its missing the Carburetta, the carb looks like it clamps onto a small stud coming off the engine. I will post a couple of pics later.I could not see it go for scrap. Howard

Ah, it could be a J.A.P. as they look very similar to the Petter, your photo did not zoom up so not able to see any details. There were other engine makes including Norman. I recollect working on a JAP one still in service in the late Seventies.

Have had some more contact with the owner and he is willing to make more photo's so that might gives you (us) more info of what type/maker and date it is....

It sounds like one of the small generators carried on the Battery Trolleys by RAF ground crews.

Don't expect to charge many batteries off of it. The 1260 watt Generator's discussed earlier would have been carried during the war and later at squadron/company level to charge banks of radio batteries.

If you want something small to charge a single battery which looks war-time get a BSA Chorehorse. They come up regularly on E-Bay.

Edited by REME 245

So is there anyone who have some photo's of his JAP generator and a photo of the control panel with whats in it too....??

The seller told me its been redone in '53 and its originally build in '43.

Makes me wonder what colour a thing like this should have back then...

Cheers,

Louis

i hoped it would charge 3 vehicle batteries at the same time,

would have done nice at shows in a sankey working for a living.

any tips on a 10kva diesel generator that was used by the british forces?

The 1260 watt charging set was designed for the bulk charging of signals batteries, and you've got four independent outputs, each with its own rheostat and ammeter, so there's no reason why you can't charge vehicle batteries with it.

It's intended for charging 6, 12 and 24 volt batteries (also possibly 2 volt cells, though they may have to be connected in series with another battery of similar capacity, and 10 volt batteries). The only thing to remember is that the amp-hour capacity of batteries connected in series must be the same (i.e: do not mix 6V 40AH, 85 AH, 125AH and 170 AH units in the same charging circuit or you will eventually boil the lower capacity batteries).

If you were to build your own charging switchboard you could push the entire output into a single set of (rather large) batteries and charge them at around 36 amps (or whatever the rated maximum output current of the generator is).

One small point: the charging set cannot be used without the switchboard, as that contains the generator field control resistance - without that in circuit, nothing much will happen (it's used to control the generator output voltage).

Chris.